Finally, I'm a Vietnam Vet !

CrueDawg34

has anyone gotten a Expeditionary Medal "exchanged" for the RVN Svc Ribbon ? Several official websites say it's authorized. towards the end of the VN war I flew in country with the 776 TAS and in Freq Wind and Eagle Pull in the 7ABCCC. I was a brand new 2Lt and knew nothing. How do I begin investigating this ? I wrote AFMPC and got the "mac salute" plus a few more web links I already knew about. thnx so much. Jim Summers

I can't comment on the end of the war, but originally the AFEM was awarded for setting foot in SVN. In 1965 the VSM was authorized and it was awarded. Veterans who had been in SVN prior to that time could request to have the AFEM changed to a VSM.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I cannot help with your specific question.

I was in the in the electric (67 - 68) shop with TDY's to CRB but I kept all my paperwork. When I applied the person across the desk couldn't believe it.

Did you happen to know Ed Claire ?; We spent a couple days fixing a damaged Herk way up north.

Good luck in your quest. 

43151F--have you been working with your county Veterans Service Office (VSO) or VFW  to help you with this. Like Joewanafly I kept records of my two TDYS--one to CRB and other to TSN.  If you do not have records, the VSO should help you request the National Records Center to send copies of your travel voucher. In 1969 I was the OIC of the Fab Branch at Naha.

bob

I was able to prove my case to both the Air Force and to the VA. When you order your records you should request the entire file. If you ask for individual items they may or may not even go through the file looking for it. Once you get the entire file you can go through each item your self and look for any document that might mention your TDYs to Vietnam. I found all my travel vouchers showing each TDY from CCK to TSN, CRB and Danang. From this I was even able to document the numbers of days spent in country. The next valuable document was my copies of my Airman's Performance Report. The remarks section talked about then number of Combat Missions flown and Flight hours. It also documented my TDY days.

I wrote a cover letter and discussed why I was TDY (almost all C-130s were based off shore from Vietnam). I wrote about the missions I flew and what a typical TDY 16 day rotations was like. I had several photos included as well of me in Saigon and at airfields in Vietnam. I put to gather the most complete packet possible. Keep in mind that the person that reviews this stuff may not have even been borne when you were in Vietnam. 

I sent the packet to USAF at Randolph AFB. In about 3 weeks I received a letter that acknowledged my TDY missions in Vietnam. At the same time the VA approved my Agent Orange claims even before the Air Force sent my letter to use. So you can get direct VA approval with out a corrected DD214 if your packet is complete and you explain your case.   

• 5 months later...

Just received my VA benefits letter.

Had a H/A and Bypass surgery last December. Submitted claim for IHD and Hearing / Tinnitus. Was awarded service connected disability for all with Agent Orange listed for IHD. Claim included TDY's to Naha, Clark with flights to Vietnam and 90 days at Tan Son Nhut. Did not have any orders or vouchers but had AFEM and 11+ months foreign service on DD 214. Personal records had TDY dates but no assignments listed except 314th OMS Stewart AFB Tenn. 1962 to 1966.  ( Crew Chief - Bravo section) Had APR noting TDY to SE Asia and an Airmans Open Mess membership card from Tan Son Nhut. Used county VSO here in NC who submitted all papers. She stated that the Airmans club card would prove Vietnam service. 

Note: I did receive a letter from the VA asking me to detail how I was exposed to Agent Orange. I took the advice from posts on this site and submitted a Statement In Support Of Claim VA form 21-4138. I detailed my TDY's to Clark and Naha and flights into Vietnam. I also detailed my TDY to Tan Son Nhut on ABCCC 62-1825 in September 1965. I sent this as my affidavit of service in Vietnam and exposure to Agent Orange. ( I would highly recommend submitting your statement after receiving the letter for proof from the VA.)

Process took 6 months and a special thanks for all the information posted on site.

I went to the local VA office here in Bakersfield California about four months ago. I had travel vouchers and hospital records from CRB hospital. I must have went there for a cold or something, I don't remember. I also requested to have Viet Nam service added to my DD214. Agent that helped me said the addition to my DD214 could take a couple years as it was low priority. I received letter for medical appointments for three different places. About three months after the appointments I received a check from the VA and the next day I received a letter explaining I had received 30% disability for exposure to agent orange and tinnitus. My hearing loss is only 6% so they denied hearing loss. I now receive a check each month from the VA. I still have nothing on my DD214, but that will take time. I was stationed at Naha for eighteen months and spent at least 70% of that time at Ubon and CRB. I just wish I had done this sooner. As a side note, I will be 72 in December this year and am in reasonably good health except for the tinnitus and type 2 diabetes. The system works better when you have the help of your local VA office. They know the ins and outs.

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago more opportunities for veterans, not only retired or disabled, presented themselves. Some are veteran parking spaces, discounts at major retailers, internet shopping at the exchange, and complementary meals. I am using the parking spaces and discounts, but I don't go for the meals. The issue for me was the proof of veteran status. Anyone can say they are a veteran and if challenged an easy validation method would be nice to have. The fellow who had his free meal taken away last year is a good example. He was outed for wearing his hat, I believe, proof positive he could not be a veteran. Now I am not into hats, lots of hair so no cover needed.

While visiting a friend two years ago we were trading VN experiences, he was in the 4th infantry at Camp Enari (just a little southeast of Pussy Mountain) in '67-'68. In his pile of vet stuff was a hard plastic VA id card. I decided that I should get one. I had a paper card with a VA number on it from when I got out and had a little dental work done (not much dental care at CCK).

I took that down to the VA hospital last year to get a plastic one. They said that number was from the seventies and no good. I had my 214 with me and then things started to happen. First the were amused to have someone there with a birthdate in the forties. Then they rattled off my awards and pronounced me a boots on the grounder veteran. I was reregistered, made a picture VA id card, sent down the hall for an AO consult, and asked if I had any disabilities. I complained of ringing in the ears, so they typed up my application and sent it in for me. Six months later and after a hearing exam I was an official disabled vet.

So for me the 214 by itself was adequate. Graywolf may have his "VEM" confused with the VCM. I also have an AFEM on there for something I don't remember. Many ass puckering flights into Osan and Kimpo during my Starlifter time out of TCM.  My redacted 214 attached

Myth--- If the VCOG is not on your DD-214 you cannot own/wear/display the medal. And you should request a DD-215 listing the VCOG if it is not on your DD-214.

Not true. Like the National Defense Medal, the Appreciation of Service Certificate and the Cold War Medal, the VCOG is an 'automatic' award that is fully authorized to ALL veterans who served in Vietnam. If the VCOG is not listed on your DD-214 (because you discharged prior to 1974 or the clerk who typed your DD-214 after 1974 was an airhead) it is not necessary to request a DD-215 as long as your DD-214 displays Vietnam Service. You are 'automatically' fully authorized.

214 red.jpg

The VA card is handy. The ringing in the ears thing amazes me. I am now in the appeals process. I submitted a packet detailing my job, noise exposure and a significant event with a tire explosion killing 3 of my PAX and blowing me off the ramp and still got denied. If you have any thoughts of Gov't Health care look no further than the VA to see why we don't want it.

• 6 months later...

I never received any of those medals, but they were put on my military personnel file. The only medals I ever actually received were the Air Medal, DFC and Combat Readiness Medal. (I had to ask for the Air Medal after I got the certificate in my vertical file.) As for Vietnam veteran status, the DOD had me in their data base because I was given credit for more than 365 days in country - TDYs from Pope, Naha and Clark. I also got it from the VA because I reenlisted the first time at Cam Ranh and it's in my second DD 214.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, 43151F said:

I was at Naha 1968-69 with a TDY to Cam Rahn with the 374FMS out of the A/R shop.Nothing on my DD214 about any VN service. What is the best way to get this corrected?

Thanks

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, BRlang said:

I was able to prove my case to both the Air Force and to the VA. When you order your records you should request the entire file. If you ask for individual items they may or may not even go through the file looking for it. Once you get the entire file you can go through each item your self and look for any document that might mention your TDYs to Vietnam. I found all my travel vouchers showing each TDY from CCK to TSN, CRB and Danang. From this I was even able to document the numbers of days spent in country. The next valuable document was my copies of my Airman's Performance Report. The remarks section talked about then number of Combat Missions flown and Flight hours. It also documented my TDY days.

I wrote a cover letter and discussed why I was TDY (almost all C-130s were based off shore from Vietnam). I wrote about the missions I flew and what a typical TDY 16 day rotations was like. I had several photos included as well of me in Saigon and at airfields in Vietnam. I put to gather the most complete packet possible. Keep in mind that the person that reviews this stuff may not have even been borne when you were in Vietnam. 

I sent the packet to USAF at Randolph AFB. In about 3 weeks I received a letter that acknowledged my TDY missions in Vietnam. At the same time the VA approved my Agent Orange claims even before the Air Force sent my letter to use. So you can get direct VA approval with out a corrected DD214 if your packet is complete and you explain your case.   

You had documentation, Incidentally, SEA service on a DD 214 is NOT proof of boots on the ground as that also applies to service in Thailand. A veteran has to have documentation of actual "service" (which may simply be stopping for an hour on an airline flight to Thailand) in South Vietnam to be presumptive exposure to herbicides. 

I didn't have the documentation but did get it from Records Center in STL. My point is that it is up to you to use the documentation and present it with explanations that make it convincible to the reviewer why you were in Viet Nam and what you did while there. Some people send in the documents with no narrative as to what they show and mean. It appears that sometime they look harder for reasons to deny you than to give you an approval. I am still amazed that the VA approved my Agent Orange claims and my disability without any thing from the Airforce. It was nice to get the letter from Randolph but the VA didn't even see it. 

• 5 years later...

I had two TDY tours at Tan Son Nhut AB in Saigon, Viet Nam.  One was from Mactan AB in 1968 and one from Clark AB during TET 1969.  How does on go about getting validation of these tours when their Passports were taken on arrival to TSN and never returned and no TDY orders were ever given out?  I have photographs and videos that I took when I was there.