6315th Operations Group

SamMcGowan

I can't remember exactly what the justification was for the weird arrangement at Naha, with the airplanes and maintenance personnel assigned to the 51st Fighter Interceptor Wing and the aircrews and operations personnel assigned to the 6315th Operations Group. It had something to do with AFM 66-1, and was related to the 51st FIW being the host unit on the base at Naha. As far as I know, the 6315th was on the only C-130 troop carrier group. All of the TAC C-130 bases had full wings, complete with Headquarters, OMS and FMS. It may have had to do with when the 21st TCS transferred to Naha in 1958 and equipped with C-130s. Friends of mine I knew at Pope after I got there in 1963 who had come from Naha told me they were assigned to the 51st FIW when they were at Naha.

We were all under 315th Air Division, the C-130s that is. There was a 315th Troop Carrier Group in South Vietnam with C-123s. They were also under 315th AD until 834th AD was set up. They had an "air commando" designation for several years.

It was a weird arrangement at Naha before they set up the 374th wing. If I'm not mistaken, the 51st FIW was under the 313th AD at Kadena.