C-130A Fuel System

Hamakimon

Hello all, I am a new member and need some help getting information regarding the fuel system on C-130A models. I am a fuel cell mechanic and have worked C-130's for 13 years but the earliest models I have worked are B models. I would like to get an idea of the major changes done from A models as well as specifics of the original system. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

I could very well be rong but I think the 2 pylons held 250 gallons each.

My memory aint what it used to be and neither am I.

The older I get, the better I was.

I am thinking the 4 mains totaled 28,000 lbs and the pylons made a total of 32,000 lbs.

I am thinking the full load gave it almost 9 hours flying time.

If I am FOS please tell me.

In the early 80s we took our B model out to Richards-Gebaur AFB Missouri for some fuel tank work and our plane was parked next to a 'A' model with blabber tanks. It was the first A model I saw bladder tanks They would not let us up in the flight deck so I did not get to look at the way they were set up. The paratroop doors had big square windows and it was a us military plane. I think the external tanks on the A model holds 470 gals.

Edited by ang012

In the 70's we put external tanks on 0024 and tested them. They held just over 300 gal. each. (about 3600 lbs total fuel.) They used DC pumps and fed fuel to the #2 & #3 tanks. You would go on crossfeed until the externals were empty. The book said approx 90 minutes of fuel. On our first flight from WPAFB to Hollaman AFB it took 89 minutes to empty them.

Stoney

Pylon tanks on the A models were full at 450 gallons and were serviced "over the wing".From memory and if fully serviced they added about 1.6 hrs.flying time and about 530 statute miles of range.Standard ramp load,at least at Evreux, was 28000 lbs.If more than 28000 was needed it was to be added "over the wing"to a maximum of I think 34000.Fuel load across the wing from tank 1,2,3 and 4 was 7200,6800, 6800 and 7200 lbs.The 400 lb. spread from outb'd to inb'd tanks was to be maintained as closely as possible throughout the flight.And as I recall there was a SPR drain pump.

C-130A's originally had no external fuel tanks. Look at any early pictures. TCTO 1C-130A-111 had provisions for two 500 gallon fuel tanks in the cargo cmpt. All A's were not modded as the AF realized they took up to much space..duh? Later TCTO 1C-130A-778 is when the A got the two 450 gallon non-jettisonable pylon tanks. This info is from a Lockheed pub printed in 1991. Bill

The C-130A Type II's had over the wing Aux tanks that were serviced like the external tanks. Depending which tail number you were on the amount varied. They held about 250-265 gallons each. The amount for each acft was stenciled on top of the wing because the CG was so critical. I do remember that if you had to change nose tires you had to put sandbags in the flight deck to keep it from sitting on the tail when you jacked the nose.

I have been handpicked to go to Honduras to evaluate their one and only C-130A model. Apparently they have been flying the A/C without quantity and a few other problems. I have to evaluate the plane and provide them with an estimate of how much it will cost to fix it. The main problem I have right now is finding information on parts installed in "A" model wings, specifically quantity harnesses and probes. I imagine they won't be interchangeable with "H" models or newer. I am sure I will run into many more surprises the more I look into their tanks. Thanks for all the information you all have provided so far. I need to familiarize myself with the system as much as possible before I get there. All of your information will be helpful.

It has been a while Sonny. I couldn't even remember how much fuel the externals held. We rarely used them. The best way to learn a system is to work it and unfortunately we had very few fuel problems. In fact, the plane rarley broke at all. :)

The pylon tanks held 320 gallons of fuel each and had to be the first thing emptied upon take off. There were no Aux tanks , that came with the B model

The flt deck fuel panel was designed with 4 external tank to engine valve knobs for tanks like the E model has but the weight and drag prohibited their use so you had external tank to engine valves on the panel and in the wing and let me tell ya, if you turned one to external tank to engine, the internal tank valves closed and the engine flamed out,...had a real nice stay in Argentina with that one.

An add on panel was placed at the rear of the overhead panels that controled the fuel pumps in the pylon tanks with lights that told when the pumps were on and when the tank was empty. The fuel was pumped into the crossfeed manifold and the FE just opened all the crossfeeds.

Edited by tristar