Project 46

Skip Davenport

Jeffysan -- Mikie is or was last time I saw him working at some golf resort in FWB don't know where Gary is though.

Stoney -- you the one who wanted to do lakebed surgery and sew up the hole in my head when the ramp crew didn't lock the davit in the up position then when it came unlocked fell and cracked my head open?

Edited by Skip Davenport

Was in Rescue back in the 70's. The ODS was used to deliver rescue bundles out the backend. The pilot had an intervolemeter on his lt. side panel and could set up the number of bundles to be dropped. The ODS was a big head knocker. The drive motor shear pins were a weak point. We used the ODS to lift and drag the 1800 gal fuse tanks out the back before each phase insp. Other than that it was just in the way most of the time. Bill

Edited by Spectre623

Now, let me think......Project 46? Now why does that sound familiar?

I still have some of that old 25.000+lb liftline, and even have some of that balloon material.

Also use the 1,000 lb daisy-chain rope for all kinds of things. Loadies taught me well how to tie knots.

I drove by Fulton's place in CT a few months ago. Sad to see everything shut down.

Lots of good memories from those days, and met some of the most interesting people.

Can't forget Bruce's moon over the lakebed.....

Not to hijack or anything but does anyone have some info on the old ODS (overhead delivery system)? I know our herks used to have it but it was removed way before I ever showed up. I guess the shadows had it, maybe the talons or HCs had it too?

I sent you a private message for an e-mail address.

Yeah,

The SF guy was "Marty" Martiinez. He was a qualified male nurse in the Green Beret (I think while he was there with us, he made E-9).

When the airplane headed for home with "the casualty" on-board, Marty told me to call the airplane and have them land on the lakebed--here and now! Using the motor home as an ambulance, we got to an Edwards clinic within 10 minutes, got you stitched up, and convinced the Flight Surgeon to let you fly on the very next day.

The RV (Urban Asssult Vehicle) was often helpful in dealing with pain and stress relief after a day of doing whatever we were doing....

Skip,

My memory isn't as good as it used to be, but if I can remember right? We landed at North Base to do an engine running off-load of the package and somebody let you out of the seat, you ran out the crew door and around the back and after the package was off-loaded we were in the process of re-positioning the davit and you jumped up on the ramp with two beers in your hand. Well, Gary and I did what came natural, we reached for the beer and the davit just dropped. I looked at Gary and Gary looked at me and we said "looks like we're staying in Ontario a few more days", then Pete Mohylsky gave us the high-5 and he said "finally I get some stick time".

Bruce

Those were taken in the early days of Project 46. I had forgotten that Mrs. Fulton came out for a visit.

I also think those are Mikie Pies scrawny legs.

When we did the first 1500# pick up I remember the nose tucked down just a little when the liftline made contact with the skyanchor. (sort like the shift in CG on a heavy equipment drop) The yoke was wired to figure out the difference in force applied for each weight we picked up from 250 - 1500#s. Don't remember what the difference in force was but it was quite substantial.

Skip,

Those pics were actually taken in the last days of P-46 and no those are not Mikey Pies scrawny legs, those are mine, and no that is not the davit you see hanging out the back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In no way would of taken my flight suit off for a low pass over the lake bed, but John Lewis told me if I would, I could drink all the mudslides at Denny's on DET 4's nickel.

Bruce