Rhein Main

charles

Charles,

I was there twice -- from 1967 to 1970 on the air evac airplanes & again from 1977 to 1983 in the 37th. Was the 6th FE to get there when the 37th opened up shop; Pope was still on rote there & when they went home, they left the airplanes there.

Something about the beer there -- I got married on my 1st tour (to a German) & divorced & married again on the 2nd tour (to an American).

Rhein Main rote - Delta squadron or Bravo squadron?

Don R.

I was there from 1977 to 1982 on the C-130 435th OMS side crewed 9810 the only dumb bird with the big bird paint color, and then 0502 came in and took its place with same paint color. Even though we were assigned acft we still ended up working all the planes including the 7th and 7405th acft. Now when you at Frankfurt the only building you will see is the old Rhein Main Hotel, everything thing else is gone all the hangers, base ops and tower and barracks making way for new cargo area.

Edited by Bill Miller

We called the regular Es without AWADS dumb birds.

I'm thinking Bill's referring to the desert tan paint jobs as the big bird paint, maybe.

Yea, we worked 'em all avionics wise as well, even IFF & TACAN the C9. Every now and then we'd have to work C141s for the enroute section when they had too many people on leave and couldn't break away from their 2 on - 3 off, 3 on - 2 off, 3 on - 3 off schedule. We also did in shop stuff for C141 avionics for the European theater. Way too many 6 and 1, 12 hours shifts.

i did not know any fe's i did know a cpt who flew the c9's because he was a coach of the base wrestling team. anyone know duke, stone, mastrolia, ,barnhill, lawton? i got out in 84 and worked through college with no gi bill. i am a teacher and went back into the army reserves a few years back and now i have the new gi bill and a 15k prior service enlistment bonus. i earned it though going through the army warrior transition course to get back in , army basic training for older guys. im in pa, and onw a house in philly and one in pottsville , an upstate pa town. i dont work on planes any more , now i work on electric generator carts for an army reserve unit but want to see if i can get a direct commission.

im not the only one who went green , a couple of usaf basic training instuctors went through warrior transition at fort sill with me- if you ever heard of land nav you know what i mean. Or the 5 k march with full pack and rifle. My knee started going but I held on and graduated.

Also in reference to what is a dumd bird, Non AWADS acft were called that. AWADS being the Adverse Weather Aerial Delivery System, or the All Weather Eyes of the Blue-Tailed Flies. How you doing Don? Yeah the beer had a lot to to do with things that happened at Rhien Main. I was there 79 to 81.