Mildenhall Questions

DC10FE

The last time I was at RAF Mildenhall was probably in 1984. Well, that's not exactly true -- I visited it last night on Google Earth, which brought up some questions.

First, is the Top Four Club still there? The one out the back gate and across the street? What was the "lady's" name there that could recite the bold face as good as any crewmember? She had an old-style flight jacket covered with patches. Never mind, it just popped into my head; Baby Jane, right?

It looks as if all the old barracks have been replaced by newer dorms (God, I hate it when barracks are called dorms!! -- too Joe College). I'm talking about the barracks built around a quadrangle.

Does the base still host an open house every year? Air Fete, I think it was called. Or has the war on terror stopped that?

It looks as if Sherwood Forest is gone, too. I've heard some Rote horror stories about that area.

I did find the Bird in the Hand, but is Mickey's Tea Room still in existance?

Thanks,

Don R.

I was at Mildenhall in the early 80s.we arrived the weekend we bombed Libya what a great arrival, we did the duffel bag drag three times, because the base was overloaded with planes and troops the following weekend was great at the nco club the band played God Bless the Usa

my last tdy. to moldy hole was 1974 to bad about the bird in the hand.

nice pub drank a many a pint there. hung out at mickeys tea bar a lot.

caught the shuttle bus at mickeys to get to the flt. line.

all ways had a good time in norwich also.

Edited by davis

I left in Oct '06 - Air Fete was gone (The War Against Terror - TWAT) put paid to that - security. They talked about bringing it back in '06, but didn't happen - who knows? Maybe it'll return one day.

Bird in Hand was still there, as was Mickey's Tea Bar, but he's now inside the fence, so he didn't have any business. It would surprise me if he's still open. Good lunch.

The G-Club has been turned into an all ranks club and ruined (like the rest of the club system) - the Officer's club isn't called that anymore - Middleton Hall or something like that.

I head back in May for 2 more years...can't wait!

Yep, through the years everything kinda changed due to security. I was at Moldyhole from 1991-2003 (5 MAPS '91-'93, 627 AMSS '93-'95, and then the 352 SOG '95-'03).

My first base was at RAF Bentwaters/Woodbridge 1984-86. Worked the herks that did the A-10 shuttle to Germany everyday (Ahlhorn, Sembach, Norvenich, and Leipheim). I remember in '85 landing at Mildenhall on a broke herk and stepping outside and having the SR-71 taxi right next to us. I remember at Bentwaters in the mid 80's having all the local birds (girls) line up outside the club to get signed in (And then they would ditch you!)

The last time I was at RAF Mildenhall was probably in 1984. Well, that's not exactly true -- I visited it last night on Google Earth, which brought up some questions.

First, is the Top Four Club still there? The one out the back gate and across the street? What was the "lady's" name there that could recite the bold face as good as any crewmember? She had an old-style flight jacket covered with patches. Never mind, it just popped into my head; Baby Jane, right?

It looks as if all the old barracks have been replaced by newer dorms (God, I hate it when barracks are called dorms!! -- too Joe College). I'm talking about the barracks built around a quadrangle.

Does the base still host an open house every year? Air Fete, I think it was called. Or has the war on terror stopped that?

It looks as if Sherwood Forest is gone, too. I've heard some Rote horror stories about that area.

I did find the Bird in the Hand, but is Mickey's Tea Room still in existance?

Thanks,

Don R.

Which "Baby Jane" Grandma, Mom or Grandaughter?

RZ Hill

All US Herk said it true and good on going back for another tour. I just finished my second three year tour (six out of the last ten years) at Mole-hole. Bird-n-Hand is the place for all TDY crews to hang out now since the place across the street has been leveled for more base housing. Sherwood Forrest is now a Shopette and gas station. All areas out the "back gate" are new (over the past eight years) base housing. They entire side of the base that was unsecured, has been fenced in. So no more shipping the local hotte's in for the weekends. Front gate has changed locations numerous times over the past ten years (GWOT to thank).

Hi all,

Really dating myself, but Mildenhall was my first posting out of tech school in Nov 68. Fond memories! I was there when the C/C taxied his E-model from parking to refueling spot, then proceeded to take-off. The bird ended up in the channel after about 3 hrs of flight, as I recall. Lakenheath had launched two of its alert F-4's or F-100's as I also recall.

The good memories far outweigh the bad. Good duty. Having retired from the reserves about six months ago, I think I can say much in the AF culture was "better" back then...all is relative, however.

Great site.:)

I was at Mildenhall in 67-68 TDY two three month tours and several 5-7 day trips with the 61st ther use to be alot of chest thumpping between the guys leaving and the guys coming in they got pretty heated at the nco club some times. I enjoyed the time I was there got to go all over Europe,Middle East and north Africa,Warsaw,Poland it was a good time

Hey, still here at Mildenhall, have been for the last 4 years (almost, only have 3 months left). Things have changed a little the last few years. The new post office opened shortly after I got here as well as the new track, car wash, several buildings have been torn down and parking lots made. A couple of dorms were torn down, but the 352 AMU building still stands, condemned and all. The bird and hand is still running strong, but I don't know about Mickey's. He is still there, but buisness has been hard, I'm sure. The exchange rate has gotten much better here, but the COLA has dropped like a rock. Currently we are sitting about $1.47=1lb, better than $2.17!

My time here has been ok, but I am retraining out of MX and heading to the operational side of the house. We are leaving in July and heading to Little Rock and the 61st AS, as an FE. My first class date is Aug 21st and I can't wait to get going.

If there are any other questions just let me know. Have a good one!

Dave

Edited by 1685FCC

• 4 weeks later...

I was drivin' the crew bus the day the F-100 hit the chimney of one of the houses close by there and the bird ended up right by the LOX plant. pilot opped the canopy, jumped over the side, but got hung up on his starps some how, aft end of the Hun was burning. The crash/fire guys were doin' a demo of AFFF fire fighting foam and just ran right over and put it out. somewhere i have the base newspaper( Mildenhall Flyer(?)) clipping of it. I thinkit was the '71 Rote for the 36TAS

load clear

Giz

Yup, I'm back, Col. Some reason, after the shif to this format, i could not get my old passwords and so on to work, new ones either, Just quit tryin'. Thentried it yestedray, for the first time in months, and away i go. I only have 79 days, and 15 shifts and i am out of the firefightin' business. Yep, I am SHORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Load clear

giz

• 2 weeks later...

Did several rotes to Mildenhall, the one that stands out was in 73(?) during the fuel shortage, flew one time on a local and one turkey trot in 60+ days, lot of beer drinking lol. Once we were in the barracks next to the old NCO club, had a rope and pullys with a basket, connected to window sill right behind the bar, write your order attach the money, let it down it would tap the window the bartender would get your beers, pull up the basket, drink away . Mike

Was station at RAF Mildenhall 1970 to 1975 worked most of the time in Mom wood. testing T 56 and J57 plus all the ground support turbine engine. I was also with the 463rd TCW 1958 - 1968 Sewart, Langley and Mctan Worked on the A, B, E, H,

_1 _9_7 & the _15 engine

Edited by turboprop

• 8 months later...

I went TDY from Forbes in '66 over the Christmas holidays. Did a lot of flying around Europe. I was able to get to London one day with a buddy of mine that went over with me, but on another plane. We paid a taxi driver lots of pounds to drive us to all the hot spots.

I remember one of the guys in our hut got back fairly drunk, stood up on his top bunk and peed on the pot belly stove. Man did it stink. We were younger then!

Did the rote twice out of Pope 74 & 75. Remember another pub between the base and the town down one of the side roads think it was called "The Rose and Crown". Remember the ghost stories about Hardstand 27 (or whatever it is now) where Paul Meyer took off from.

Helped open Fairford 79-82 so made a few trips over to Mildenhall to pick people up at the terminal. Sounds like the exchange rate is MUCH better than when I was there (2.41 to the pound). Always loved England when I was there; wish I could afford to retire there.