Help me if you can...looking for info on a particular model

Just5cents

Hello everyone,

Let me introduce myself my name is justin nichols and my grandfather i believe he rode and maintained a C-130.

Years ago on a telephone converstion he told me and showed me a site where his plane was being restored for display...somewhere. After some talking he had a photo (to which I have a copy of) of one of there trips where he is standing shaking hands with i think either a vietnamse boy or korean boy. Either way he wasnt sure if he was able to make the trip to donate the photo, because they really would have liked to have it....well I promised him when i got old enough to drive i would pick him up and take him there to do it.

...i never got that chance, he passed away i believe just a year later.

So why do I come now? Just last night i found my copy of that picture, and i remembered it all...and I just wanted to see if i could get some more info on what plane it was, if its restored, where its at.

I will post a scan of the image to show you all in hopes there some clues to what it exactly is. For now, Iknow on the body on the side of the aircraft it had the number 460 and it looked to be a silver or grey colored aircraft.

Thank you all so much for your help.

Ok As soon as i get the picture and scan it i will post it up. His name was Richard Scarlett, he was the mechanic for the plane, he was stationed at McDill AFB, my mom thinks the picture was taken in the phillipines maybe, around 1960. I will get more info and post the picture here asap.

Would it be this one ?

If so - I believe it's C-130A 57-0460 and is on display at the National Air and Space Museum

Here's a copy and paste from their web-site:

:The Museum’s Lockheed Hercules C-130A-45-LM, AF Serial No. 57-460, Mfg. Ser. No 3167, is representative of the first production version of C-130s. It has a distinguised history or service with the USAF and a unique history as a member of Vietnamese Air Force (VNAF)--transferred to them in 1972, later escaping to Thailand in 1975.:

460engine.jpg

Edited by Rolling-Thunder

That what I was thinking was tachikawa. I was there in 64-66

but those two tail# don`t match what I remember.

but it could have been there before I got there.

IT does look like that area by air america.

Dutch, been there an done that at athens.

this acft. was at naha when I was at tachi. 64-66.

Edited by davis

OMG! I think thats it!! Heres the picture I have of him and his plane.

scarlletplanephotoscancopy.jpg

I think now that i remember he did mention that he thought it was the National Air and Space museum...but the times I checked on it over the years I never saw wether or not it was his, let alone even before that I never saw a C-130 at the main display, and when i heard of the addition being made at the airport I saw that a C-130 was on the list....but never saw if it was actually his or not.

Does the plane in the picture match up, would there be another plane that has 460 on it like that!? If not then I CANT THANK ALL OF YOU ENOUGH for all your help! My mom (who is one of his daughters) cant thank you all enough either! We are planning a trip down to see the plane, I will take some pictures and post them here...

By the way, Is there anything you can tell about the picture we have? Like where it could be? What airlift wing it was? I know not much is shown in the picture above.

Edited by Just5cents

Would it be this one ?

If so - I believe it's C-130A 57-0460 and is on display at the National Air and Space Museum

Here's a copy and paste from their web-site:

:The Museum’s Lockheed Hercules C-130A-45-LM, AF Serial No. 57-460, Mfg. Ser. No 3167, is representative of the first production version of C-130s. It has a distinguised history or service with the USAF and a unique history as a member of Vietnamese Air Force (VNAF)--transferred to them in 1972, later escaping to Thailand in 1975.:

460engine.jpg

Rolling Thunder has it. Photo taken 1/59 at Evreux.

The plane pictured is an A model.

There ios no other A model with the numbers 460. It is 57-0460 Lockheed number 3167

I attached a picture of it in the Museum at Dulles.

Look in the Gallery under 3167 for more pictures.

It started out its career in Europe at Evreaux in 1958 and stayed there until we got kicked out of France in 1967. It came back to Lockbourne AFB now called Rickenbacker ANGB in Ohio. It went to the AFRES at Richards Gebaur AFB MO in 1971. It was sent to the SVAF as part of Project Enhance Plus in Nov 1972. It was flown by the SVAF 435 Sqn with the tail letters HCF repatriated in 1975. Then to the 704 TAS AFRES at Ellington AFRB in 1976 it went to the 63 TAS AFRES at Selfridge AFB. Later to the 95 TAS AFRES at Milwaukee and to Air and Space Museum in 1989.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

The photo was taken at Evereux AFB France in 1957. 464 was

new with just a few hours on it. All early A's had Red tails and Wings. That guy in the middle is me with a New WW2 Parka. Engine change was being done. The early T-56 engines did not go many hours before change. The gear box's were going bad and 100 hours were good on an engine. 026 can be seen in the background. Hope this help to some degree:) I started on these great old birds and spent the next 26 years Maintaining and flying them.