Insignia Question. I Never knew about this...

airnav

I was spending the latter part of today "attempting" to organize past and present files, and this caught my eye. It is an old CBPO rip authorizing the wear of the Combat Crew Badge to the flight crews of our squadron based on award of the Combat Readiness Medal, THEN a follow on rip retracting (hmmm....imagine that) the authorization of the badge. What was with the Combat Crew Badge to begin with? These documents are circa 1979.

As I recall...... Any aircrew that was authorized the combat readiness medal was also authorized the Combat Aircrew Badge, which was worn on top of the name tag on the right pocket. the department of redundancy department did away with it for that very reason. It was worn on blues or fatigues (BDU's) so line crewdogs didn't see it often

Thanks for the info. folks. I can't help but crack up laughing.......The AF wants to "de-clutter" the uniform, however, they keep comming up with new ribbons for all sorts of duties. I am sure that it won't be too much longer before all career fields have a ribbon for annotating their duties performed. A merit badge sash like the Boy and Girl Scouts have will probably be instituted......

Airnav, I remember seeing these earlier in my career but remember it going away with all the uniform shake ups in the early 90's. I found a link that should help

http://afehri.maxwell.af.mil/Documents/pdf/HISTORY%20OF%20COMBAT%20SERVICE%20INSIGNIAS.pdf

Thanks - now I feel really old when I read someone talking about "the early 90's". I still have mine. My memory is fading but if I recall (this is circa 1974) I thought we had to wear the badge for 1 year before we were eligible for the the medal.