Desert One

alphacharlie130

Alright you guys I know it may be a bit soon, but I just wanted to remind folks to remember our fallen brothers who lost their lives in the Iranian hostage rescue attempt (Operation Eagle Claw) on April 24th 1980. God rest their brave souls. My flag will be at half staff even if others don't know or care. Don't count on the media or the current administration to even so much as whisper the words Desert One.

Amen, Charlie,

Thanks for the post. I occasionally re-read the stories as written in Kyle's book "The Guts to Try", and in Thigpen's book "The Praetorian Starship".

One of the surviving crew members (Jim "Banzai" McClain) of the ill-fated Republic 04 was injured with a broken back on this mission, and was on disability for years. But, would you believe that the DOD Assistant Secretary of Personnel Chew has recently reviewed his file, has re-interpreted the law and has deemed that now he is not entitled to disability. A member can be wounded in direct action or wounded otherwise. Jim was informed that he falls into the second category, not the first and therefore is not entitled to disability from DOD. He now has to go through the entire process to present his claim again, with a time limit of 1 May 2009. The DOD and DVA state "there is some confusion over this case". It has been stated that Desert One was not combat.......

If you have any suggestions or advice, contact Jim at: [email protected] or [email protected]

John

Edited by TalonOneTF

There is always some pencil pusher somewhere that has to make life hard for true American heroes that don't go around and brag of their exploits. Here is a true example of the Quiet Professional" and some JACK@$$ has the nerve to say he doesn't deserve the disability that happened in the defense of this Nation. It doesn't matter if its "OFFICIAL" or "UNOFFICIAL" it is in the defense of this country by order of the President of the United States.

Engine Mike

has re-interpreted the law and has deemed that now he is not entitled to disability

Do you mean VA disability?

If so it don't matter if he hurt his back when he slipped in the shower at home, as long as he was on active duty when it happened its service connected - PERIOD!

I would heavily recommend letting his congressman and senator (unless its that assklown martinez here in Florida that is) get involved in this.

Dan

Yeah, he said he has tried congressmen (including Mel Martinez), but to no avail. This kind of stuff shouldn't happen. We have way too many mealy-minded administrators who think their job is just so super-critical to the overall budget. These kinds usually get promoted rather than fired. Burns me up ! All us voters are supposed to have some influence in this democratic society, but we continually get hammered by the masses of stupidity in Government positions....

John

Tiny, I can't even think of a good comeback for that statement. It seems we are in a situation where our political best are almost all overpaid, and especially over-compensated, and anything they propose that is supposed to "good for the people" winds up making the rich a lot richer and putting the taxpayer further in the hole. And it really doesn't appear that voters can really influence these dweebs.

I would really like to see the all our political leaders face the same kind of retirement benefits and medical compensation as the rest of us. It's not so much the emissions that are causing global warming, but just as likely the hot air coming out of our trusted leaders.

They shoud have an emmisions or pollution control check like vehicles in California---put a truth and dignity sensor in their mouth, and have them "tell the truth" in order to keep their jobs, rather than a lifetime free ride.

Okay, off my soapbox and back to the subject of this thread. I have the utmost appreciation and respect for what those gutsy guys did---I said did, not tried to do. Five Hercs penetrating to about 90 miles of Tehran undetected and landing on a desert strip. To think of the pucker factor! Wow! I will always admire their courage....

Edited by TalonOneTF