Desert One

Thud105

Bluebeard 3 a RH-53D Marine helo colided with Republic 4 a AF EC-130E during a reposition to fuel. The desert sand was so fine it has been described as talcum powder. The helo's rotor wash obscured the pilots vision and he was unable to clear the vertal tail of the Herk. The AF crew was Pilots - Capt Lewis, Capt Mcintosh, Navs - Capt Bakke, Capt McMillan and FE Msgt Mayo + the 3 Marines on the helo. All wariors, true heros "With the Guts to Try" -- It was an honor to know, fly, fight and serve with each of you.

Edited by Skip Davenport

True American Heroes that had "THE GUTS TO TRY" what many felt was impossible. They are true heroes that should never be forgotten for their sacrifice for they are the true representatives of the true spirit of the Quiet Professionals. The Men we lost on that dark night in Iran are "True American Heroes" and take their rightful place as role models for today's Special Operation Community.

Engine Mike.

Yes, God bless those brave guys. I actually borrowed the book "Guts to try" from a friend many years ago and he PCS'd before I could give it back to him. I retired in 2003 and met up with him last year and finally got it back to him. He had Col Kyle's autograph on the inside cover (Author) so he was pretty happy to get it back.

Skip,

I don't want to come across as a nit-picker, but MSgt Joe Mayo was an FE on "Republic 4." The helo's call sign was "Bluebeard 3."

Thigpen's book, "The Praetorian Starship" has an excellent detailed account of the entire operation.

All heros.

Don R.

Skip,

I don't want to come across as a nit-picker, but MSgt Joe Mayo was an FE on "Republic 4." The helo's call sign was "Bluebeard 3."

Thigpen's book, "The Praetorian Starship" has an excellent detailed account of the entire operation.

All heros.

Don R.

You are correct -- I should not have relied on my memory. I have corrected my post. Thanks.

Guest cobra935o

The first acft I was ever assigned to, EC-130E 62-1818, was one of the planes on the ground over there in Iran, and had a plaque on board dedicated to those men, and the airplane. I always thought that was the coolest thing to at least get to touch and care for a living piece of history every day while I was there at Keesler.

Also I lived on Kanuha Street in Commando Village, named after SSgt Damon Kanuha, the FE on Spirit 03! Shame people dont think about who the bases or streets are named after or why!

Nathan

Edited by cobra935o

Skip,

All heros.

Don R.

Gang,

Would anyone have a copy of this publication that I can read. I have a long time association with this event, and would love to read it.

I presented a memorial model of a Talon to the 8th a few weeks after the sortie. As of 2 years ago it, it was still standing strong.

Thanks in advance

Frank Carberry

From the Robins Museum of Aviation webpage...the last acft modified is still in the modified configuration on display behind the museum.

Lockheed YMC-130H

In 1981 it was one of three C-130H aircraft that were specially modified for use in a possible rescue attempt of the Americans held hostage in Iran in 1981. Code named "Credible Sport", the stock C-130H aircraft had highly modified flight control, flap system and airframe components allowed the installation of various rocket systems for short take off and landing (STOL) capabilities unique to the rescue operation. Although never actually used, one of the aircraft was destroyed during testing and second was demodified and returned to service and the third, this one on display, was retired to the Museum in 1987.

• 2 months later...

The first acft I was ever assigned to, EC-130E 62-1818, was one of the planes on the ground over there in Iran, and had a plaque on board dedicated to those men, and the airplane. I always thought that was the coolest thing to at least get to touch and care for a living piece of history every day while I was there at Keesler.

Nathan

Nate, I remember those plaques. All three surviving planes had them, 1818, 1857 and I dont remember what the third tail was.

BTW 1857 was the crookedest plane I have ever flown on, they bent it pretty good getting it out of the desert but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I usually take occasions like this to remember all my fellow Herky Aviators that have paid the final price, Rest in peace.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dan,

Only 3 EC-130E aircraft were involved in the operation, 62-1809 Republic 4 (destroyed) - 62-1818, Republic 5 and 62-1857, Republic 6 (last aircraft out).

There is not an April that passes that I don't remember these guys, real American Heroes!

Check out this site: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/joelmayo.htm

I was in the 42nd ACCS when they closed the unit. 1818 went to the boneyard; not sure where 1857 went.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for remembering those heroes. It is to bad they did not succeed in freeing our fellow Americans. It is good that they are not forgotten.

I was assigned to 62-1809 for my first trip into Viet Nam. On July 15, 1967 she was damaged in a rocket attack in Danang, VN. the left wing was burned to number 1 engine. She was later repaired and continued to fly the ABCCC mission until her heroic loss in Iran along with her valiant crew.

thanks to all my fellow warriors for your service and sacrifice.

Wil