Fuel contaimination check Emodel vs.H

leadingedge1

In the E-model C130-1 under fuel contaimination check ,it states that the check must be done under a high power condition/setting. In the C130-1 for h model fuel contaimination it just states monitor rpm,and tit,and torque for approx 1 min. Was high power setting ommitted by mistake in the h model -1 or with the -15 engines its not needed?

Thanks in advance!!!

There are/were some inconsistencies between the different flight manuals, such as "Seat belt/Shoulder Harness" versus "Safety Belt/Shoulder Harness". These are all supposed to have been addressed last year in the commonality conference by the FMM. I imagine this was included.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a clue where that High Power setting thing came from.

We still (or at least did when I retired in 04) did them the first flight of the day on the MC/HC's and you could do it in LSGI, Normal idle or at power, it didn't make a difference.

Dan

These are all supposed to have been addressed last year in the commonality conference by the FMM.

Last year? Hell this was supposed to have been corrected back in the late 90's in the first commonality conferences! lol It seems they're always reinventing the wheel.

Pete I thought I trained you better than that. :D kidding

Dan I do remember some discussion about the high power thing but it's been so long I can't remember. I do know the Tanker guys had decided they would always do it the old proven way due to the additional plumbing and possible trash in the Benson tanks.

In the E-model C130-1 under fuel contaimination check ,it states that the check must be done under a high power condition/setting. In the C130-1 for h model fuel contaimination it just states monitor rpm,and tit,and torque for approx 1 min. Was high power setting ommitted by mistake in the h model -1 or with the -15 engines its not needed?

Thanks in advance!!!

You need to go to a dash1 conference. You'll learn real quick how things get "in the book".

Sometimes it's on purpose, sometimes it's by accident.

Didn't we (MC-P's at least) turn off the fuel boost pumps during the engine run checks?

We were still doing the engine run up at the time I was grounded in 2002, long after the slicks deleted the requirement.

That may be where someone is mixing up the contamination checks with the engine runup as to the Hi Power thing.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

I was talking to a flight eng that has experience on a and b models c130's,he stated that these and early e models did not have water removal systems in the fuel tanks by the pumps so that was why fuel contaimination checks where done at a high power setting.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed that same thing when I was going through H3 differences training. Then an instructor pointed out our FCB, which states that the fuel contam check will be done at high power settings for both models (E/H3) we fly.

USMC/USN fuel boost pumps OFF during the engine run checks. Just to ensure the engines will gravity feed. Boost pumps on "fuel panel set" checklist item prior to take off.

Contamination check is in flight, Aux/Ext tank fuel flow to inboard engine check for stable operation aprox 1 min then outboard engine. Same on other wing....

Think Dan is on to the issue maybe... "mixing up the contamination checks with the engine runup as to the Hi Power thing."