What is Rivet Duke, Rivet Kit and Rivet Acorn?

crediblesport

The airplanes were not slicks, they were modified with special systems. When the Berlin Wall came down, they basically lost their mission. They were then de-modified/re-modified to do similar missions in a different geographical theatre.

Thank You for the answers,

I am only asking this a a model builder. I intend to build a 1/72 scale model of every Special Mission C-130.

I knew about a number of Programs when I worked at LAS Onatrio, but these were the only programs I could not find anything written about or special external features to build a model of the Birds.

So were there any external modification? or did they appear as Slicks and all of the wizo stuff was on the inside? Like small antennas etc.

I know someone screwed up a skin panel on one of these birds and I remembering hearing something about hanging some kind of gear out of the Paratroop Doors or Cargo Ramp either Cameras or collection gear.

Something like Senior Scout or comfy Levi.

Thanks

Tim

Tim,

You are confusing Rivet Duke/Kit with Senior Scout.

Duke/Kit intentionally looked like a slick from the outside when not in an inflight operational scenario.

Scout accepted the large container in the cargo compartment, and had antennas and more on the MLG and paratroop doors.

John

P.S. Many good years at LAS.....

From the outside they looked liked slicks. There were subtle differences that were hard to identify. The most obvious was the SATCOM antenna before any of the slicks had one. The wings were a little different, but it wasn't obvious. I worked the program at Det 4.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks - We worked pretty extensively with Bob Daly trying to track down the aircraft. We knew 1819's wings were removed a number of years ago - the Det 4 guys said the cost of the removal was a lot more then they originally thought because of all of the wave guides running through the leading edge along with other "unique" items (we also have been working with Bill Grimes (former Big Safari/CC)on trying to document the declassified history of the squadrons from a Big Safari perspective - he attends our reunions). As best as we can tell all three aircraft were shredded in 2004 or so, and we believe all the special enclosures within the cargo compartment were also disassembled and destroyed (what a shame). At some point, perhaps next year, we will have the history of the mission, to include the 7499th available. Much, probably 80%, has been declassified - we are working with one of our former intel officers, who is on the Air Staff, to ensure we understand which pieces have been declassified.

Hush

• 1 month later...

I remember the first time I met Mr Grimes...holy crap he scared the hell out of me. That man had command presence. One of our Nav's used his coffee cup when he wasn't there. Well one day he pops up and wants a cup of coffee...that sent me running to the bathroom on the other side of the building to clean the damn thing up and pour a fresh cup.

Happy Grimes...happy life...Simple math.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 years later...
  • 9 months later...