Roll call

jrkaegi

Sign in and let our fallen Brothers and Sisters know that we will never forget them. Know they made the ultimate sacrifice.

I will be at the West Hawaii Veteran's Cemetery on the "Big Island" of Hawaii with my Boy Scout Troop doing our part to Honor those who gave their all.

May they rest in peace,

Bruce Soto, TSgt, USAF Retired

Scoutmaster Boy Scout Troop 79

Wife and I went to the Smyrna, Ga. "Veterns Memorial" at the city center complex. They had a Blackhawk flyby in the missing man formation and speakers from WW2 all the way to a couple of Marines who just returned (one Wounded). It was a great showing from Dobbins ARB With their "Honor Guard", complete with a 21 gun salute. It was a good day to be alive, and to be able to honor our "war dead" properly. Hey Muff did you make it to the memorial there? Looked for you. Bill

Just returned from visiting my folks in Granville, NY. I "sprung" my 74 year old Dad from the nursing home and took him to our town's local park where we watched the Memorial Day Parade conclude and the laying of wreaths at our hometown veterans monuments. I stood with my father and we both saluted together during the raising of the flag. It was very emotional as we had never done that before. He was a 23 yr AF vet and was a loadmaster & combat controller; qual'd on C-47, C-119, C-123, C-124, C-130, C-141 & C-5. It was the most beautiful day and I will never forget it.

Dirty redd

my Dad and i are both retired military. the highlight of my military career was

when my dad even as as a stroke patient was able to attend my retirement.

it was my day to shine and he stole the show. i would have loved to have your

experience before i lost Dad

Toma,

It was a beautiful moment as well as a very emotional one. My Dad was unable to attend my retirement ceremony due to his poor health but he was there in spirit and my brother filled in for him. I am also sorry for the loss of your Dad. I do not know what I'll do when my Dad passes; which I fear is soon. We have such a strong bond. Thanks for your story.

In 2007, I started to wonder if I could find some of my C-130 buddies I had been stationed with in Naha and CCK from 1967-1970! I started typing in names on Google, and one of the first that came up, was a Ronnie Hensley from West Virginia! After reading further, I was to find out that my friend had been on the "Warlord" when it was shot down over Laos on Apr. 22, 1970 There is quite a story about all that happened then and later, but I won't get into that now! When I realized that I wasn't seeing things, I realized I had lost a good friend! I felt like somebody had kicked me in the gut! Even though I hadn't talked to him in 38 years, it seemed like it had just happened! I have found some pics of him, but if I can't post them here now I will keep trying! I have been wanting to tell somebody about this for years, but didn't have anybody that would understand how things were then! Now I am with a bunch of guys that do. Here on "The Herky Birds"

Thanks for listening,

Ken Carlson

DSCF0942-1.jpg

Edited by Mt.crewchief
Trying to add pic

Losin' your dad, especially if you had such a fine one as mine, is one of the worst things you can go through, like you have said. My Dad was with the Army Engineers at Attu, Kiska, Cold Bay, Dutch harbor, all those places in WWII. He then went to France in June of 44. he died 23 years ago, but still I think of him. We never talked about each others military experiences, wish we had.

Last Sunday I particpated in a Round Table ceremony with my chapter of the Vietnam Veterans of America, for MIA-POW Day. awesome ceremony, if you ever get a chance to see it, do so.

One last rant,on the subject of MIA-POW, a very large portion of them from Vietnam were flyers, like us. Think about that.

REMEMBER!!!!!!