C-130 Standard Operational Procedures

wildweasel_pt

Hi guys

My name is Fred and i'd like to ask you all for a favor if that is possible.

But first allow me to introduce myself. Im a pilot with the 501SQN back in Portugal (we're the only herc squadron here). I did my flight training in Laughlin AFB (07-07, Falcons and Mothers) and came back to fly the herc. When i was back in the US we used a publication (T-6 and T-38), maybe the most important one (so important that we knew it by heart), that was the Standard Operational Procedures or SOPs, that like the name says, encompassed all the procedures to do in different phases of planning, flying, and all around the activity that we pilots do. The thing is... I was hoping to develop a manual similar to that one to use in my squadron in the very same way that we used to use back in flight training. I never flew in a US herc squadron so i do not know how you guys do it there but i think it might not be that different. So i was hoping that, and considering that is not a classified "manual" i could see how the US herc squadrons do it in order to compare and maybe adapt it to our operation back here. We operate our aircraft in a very flexible way (we have to, being the only herc squadron in my country), we qualify on general transport, SAR, tactical flights including airdrops (CDS, heavy, PDS, and used to but not anymore...LAPES). We operate from Africa to Afghanistan on detachment. For all of this i think that we're missing a very important pub like that one. Im developing it slowly but i think that woul be a valuable help if i could get the input from you guys that are flying it back there. If anyone is in the mood to give me a hand on this project please PM me. Any other references may be provided in order to certify that im the one im claiming to be... thanks for the patience on reading this and i hope that some guys will give me a push on this. TIA

Fred Sousa

1Lt

Hi

I completely understand that but what i was looking for was more of a structure to start with. My experience wit the USAF SOPs is only for the T-38C and that isn't applicable for the Herc. To be honest with you i was hoping to find a guideline for the developing of such a pub. If it already exists, and i know that every single Herc US squadron has one i know that they'll be properly done and as we say what is the purpose of re-inventing the wheel? Thanks for the input either way

Fred

it dealt with the how to for Tactical Operations Employment -- also known as TAC 55-130, MAC 55-130 & AFSOC 55-130. Chapter 10 was the local Sq procedures.

FYI -- I was one of the two AF pilots for Project Peace Talon that set up the T-38's at Base Area 5. I flew the first one. It was a test flight after being put back together. They (6) were flown into Lisbon in a C-5. After, test flights we flew them up to Base Area 5. Col Seabra was my first student and Maj Silva (the F-86 CC) was another. Probably didn't spell there names right. If you know how I can get in touch with them that would be GREAT

Edited by Skip Davenport

Maaaaaaaaaaaannnnn Thats awesome... Really... I can't believe what you sayin'... Col Seabra is retired as 3 star General. Maj Silva i can't identify who it is but i can try to find out. What about Macário? Does that name ring a bell? I know that we had 12 of them (it was 6+6) they were put to rest in '93 if im not mistaken (we were supposed to buy the F-5 but that didn't happen afterall and they replaced T-33s) I didn't fly the white ones im way younger than that. I flew the PMP version of the T-38C in Laughlin AFB 3 years ago. I kinda experienced a little bit of everything. I started to be a NAV in C-130 in '99 and then i went to academy and i started to study for electronic engineering but that didn't fullfilled me so i went for pilot training and i went back to the very same squadron where i was a nav before. It took me 7 years to change seats :D I just hope it won't take that same time to change to the left He he. I'll try to find out about what you're asking for. PM me with some of your references (Age, full name and rank at the time, etc) Thanks

Skip...

I'd recommend you to take a look at this forum

www.forum9gs.net

Eventhough that its a portuguese forum, all of the posters speak english and you can find lots of info that you may consider useful or curious at least. Theres lots of info on the talons that you brought here. And some other goodies. just register and start blabbing that everyone will be welcoming you. You can even use me as a reference. They all know me. My user there is esq501. Take care...

Skip...

I'd recommend you to take a look at this forum

www.forum9gs.net

Eventhough that its a portuguese forum, all of the posters speak english and you can find lots of info that you may consider useful or curious at least. Theres lots of info on the talons that you brought here. And some other goodies. just register and start blabbing that everyone will be welcoming you. You can even use me as a reference. They all know me. My user there is esq501. Take care...

can't figure out how to register -- PM me or email me at [email protected]