Herk price

Jetsam

Nice pic of the only "C" model Bob. The BLC engines were YT-56A-6 turbojets without the gear boxes and props. It was the 7th B model built. The flaps dropped down 90 degrees from the wing as did the ailerons. It also used a 22 foot dia. drag chute to get the landing speed down to 60 MPH at max weight. It was assigned to the 4950th Test Group. Later this aircraft was moded and became the NASA Earth Survey 2, acft.

Edited by Spectre623

I thought that was the NASA C-130 from Ellington Field Texas. I worked for NASA, Johnson Space Center for 28 years in the Transportation Branch. But I was not on flight statis until after the C-130 was gone. I did load planning and supervised the loading of the Super Guppy until we retired it. JSC acquired a newer Guppy with C-130 engines after I retired in 1992. They still have the lastest Guppy but I understand that they don't have any more work for it as all of the oversized loads for the Space Station have been delivered to the Kennedy Space Center.

After the BLC tests it was demodded back to basic B model with wings and rudder from a damaged acft. It picked up the civ reg N929NA and later to N707NA after it went to NASA. NASA put an extended radom on it and several other mods. Bill

Hi, if one want to buy used Herk, ex-military or L-100 , what will be the ~price?

best regards

J.

Thinking that it would make an awesome RV? Huh?

Be like those elderly people that "RV" in a dinky little cessna. Who have to rent a car and hotel room, for every stop they make. Where as with a herk, you can bring your own transportation and you have a nice little hammock to sleep in at night.

I have inspected the NASA NC-130B recently and you'd need all 4 engines and props to fly it. It has roller doors underneath the belly plus no cargo-style floor. It has a passenger module fitted plus the fwd floor has big holes for the cameras. Would make for an expensive rework to haul cargo.

I flew the second airplane (msn 5225) listed on the above DERCO web site for 1 1/2 years with Frameair in Angola. When we showed up in Luanda, it had 66 hours on it. It's a really good airplane, but it would probably take an extra million bucks to get the avionics up to real world standards. When it was new (1991), it had state-of-the-art Omega, INS & an aftermarket GPS.

I don't know what H-model variant it would equate to, but it has the Rosemount pitot system, digital fuel gauges, a flushing loo and a reclining FE seat (beautiful!!).

Don R.

GSa has a B model up for auction starting on 3 June. It requires a $25,000 bid deposit. I think that you will need more than one crew chief. Tail No N707NA, 58-0712. It looks like one of the planes that NASA used for research. Auction web address is WWW.gsaauctions.gov

The NASA NC-130B is being sold as a parts bird only. I did an inspection yesterday and we were told a condition of sale is that it cannot be flown. Besides, the documentation showing last flight with current time had "disappeared" some time since the a/c was opened for inspection for last year's attempt to sell it.