Need help/advice - 17s to 130s AFSOC

Bella

Hello All,

My friend referred me to this site to try to get some help/advice on my little dilema I'm having. I am currently a C17 Loadmaster and want to get to AFSOC on 130s. I've wanted AFSOC since I joined, but got screwed out of that deal (read profile). Being a loadmaster has gotten me back to being a bit closer to getting to AFSOC, but there seems to be some troubles.

My chief contacted AFPC again for some info, this time they came back saying there's no known "pathway" from 17s to AFSOC. They told me it'd be best to try to get Jmodels at Dyess or Ramstein and then get picked up for AFSOC. I've heard debates on where Jmodels actually were, etc. Now, I know there's other 130 models out there at different bases, Moody, DM, Little Rock, etc.... I'm not quite up to speed on which models are where and what their missions are and what the loadmaster actually does on them (hence just sitting in a bubble on gunships - love gunships, but i wanna do more than scan for threats, sorry guys - no hard feelings?)

So my dilema is - what to do? Now I dont wanna go to Jmodels and be stuck, or go to 'normal' 130s and get stuck and not even have the chance to get to AFSOC. You 130 guys prolly know more about how things work at different bases and what my best options could be... if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know !!!

MJ

AFAIK, all AFSOC aircrew has to be on regular 130's prior to getting "picked up".

This is coming from a maintainer however. But when I was AFSOC, all LM's came from other 130 bases prior, and an FE explained that that was how it would work if I were to cross-train. Something like 2 years on slicks, then I could put in for an assignment. Hope this helps...

Funny thing...I have two C-17 convert LMs in upgrade training as we speak. No prior C-130 experience, they were "force shaped" into AFSOC. Neither wanted to leave NC, but they both will be excellent LMs once they are fully mission qual'd. As we speak, only Tallon II's are the only AFSOC unit that has requirment for prior C-130 experience.

Have you thought about trying to go to Charleston? After 25 years on H models I would not mind trying C-17's or J models. What I have heard about Spec Ops is that you are deployed all the time for 4 to 6 months at a time and when you are not deployed you are still tdy alot. It appears from your bio that you have not done any type of low level work it can be rough on the body try standing up on a roller coaster while it is in motion, because you are more than likely to be at 250 to 300ft AGL and you are going to mobile in the cargo compartment doing your checks prior to the drop. With that being said I still enjoy airdrop I just like doing at night it is less bumpy and the altitudes are a little higher Talk to your cheif and see if you can go to airdrop school on the 17. I find the 130 mission to be more gratifying along with more work.

One note people are overlooking.... MC-130J coming soon to an AFSOC base in the desert, so getting J training can work to your advantage going to AFSOC.

Food for thought,

Engine Mike

That is true, I am partial to the 130 it is the only airplane I have been a crewmember on. The J model is a nice airplane.

well we do low level but it's not nearly as low as i've seen 130s go. i cant request airdrop school b/c our base - oh wait - doesn't airdrop. charleston would be nice, but then again, still....the 17 isn't gonna take me on missions that i wanna go on. and the SOLII guys there i see as wanna be afsoc...

so basically, it IS possible to go straight to AFSOC, but the talons require prior 130 experience? hmm...that's what i wanted to.

I can tell you the grass isn't always greener...there are pro and cons to your situation...I was a loadie on 141s, then E model Herks and now J's....we just received our first group of CHS and McChord crossflow guys that are mainly of the E-6's and E-7's. They weren't really happy to leave but I am sure they will drink the kool aid and be proud tac airlifters in no time.

You could try getting to C-130s and then try AFSOC from there as was already mentioned. I know many herk people who would go to 17s in a heartbeat. Speaking generally here you probably have to look at the manning for your grade and possibly talk to your chain about getting to herks. Coming from the Strat airlift world to Herks was an eye opener for me but I wouldn't go back. The C-130 is an awesome plane and a lot of fun.

Good luck to you.

I just saw a video on fox re: the 615th Air Force CRW. They apparently have C17 hard aircrews trained for this mission (don't know if any 130's in the mix...). There sure does appear to be some interesting air dropping (looks like some heavy drops and combat airland speed off load delivery...) going on with this group, it seems. As a LM from the 60's, all of it in TAC, and all on E's, I was fortunate to do a lot of air dropping, including CDS and LAPES (including 1528). LAPES was something else! (CDS was a different kind of excitment over Khe Sanh during Tet...). How much of this type of air dropping is a part of the C130 line haul airlift squadron's mission today what, with all of the special ops 130s' out there?