Load Going For The Jump

airnav

Once upon a time in a place far far away.... Had a group of Marines in the back in MOPP, NBC or CBR gear what ever they call it nowadays.. And one of them basically did the same thing... Rip off his mask "puke" in the bag... Marine next to him rips off his mask and CHOWS green pea soup I think....) The result was a few nearby Marines filled their masks (IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!) with them still ON!!!

I thought it was funny as hell but almost puked after watching the kids fill their masks. What a FREEEEEKING MESS!!!

• 8 months later...

Until the late '90s, it wasn't uncommon for RAF SF guys to jump with the SAS guys...then someone found out and the defacation hit the rotary air oscillator....big time. Firings, courts martial, etc. Don't know that it happens anymore...

Supposedly, it got so crazy at times, that at one time, a CP landed the plane...

...solo

Been spending a day off reading past threads. I used to work with an ex RAF CC who claimed he was on the flight. Apparently The AC, FE and NAV and one LM went out the back with the SAS guys somewhere in Africa. They were all court martialed.

YES, it is true. While at CCK in 1969 we were discussing that incident and I said it probably wasn't true. This one big load said it was and I asked how he knew that. He replied because it was me! I forget the guys name, but he was in the 776th some time during 1969.

WE DID THAT ALL THE TIME ON LOW-LEVEL PENATRATIONS AT POPE, REALLY GOT EVERYONE'S ATTENTION WHEN YOU OPENED THE BAG AND STARTED EATING. MIGHT HAVE BEEN ME I WAS AT CCK 68-69

JACK MARTZ 776 TAS

• 3 weeks later...

Inthe early 50s on c-47s you really had to be careful most of the airborn were ww2 vets and they got a great kick out of draging an unaware troop with them, the incident Where a sewart bird flew thru a string of troops it was an E model I WENT ON TOP AND LOOKED AT THE SKID MARKS FROM THE JUMPERS BOOTS WHERE THEY HIT THE a/c. aLSO THE ASSISTANT CREW CHIEF THAT WENT OUT THE FRONT CARGO DOOR WHEN THE LOCKS FAILED WAS KENNETH BACH

Sam McGowan wrote:

the loadmaster who was trying to retrieve static lines with a tiedown strap and let it get away from him and beat the heck out of the cargo door.

I did this in Germany in 1967, also put some holes in one of the elevators - we had to stay while they replaced the elevator. The AC made me go out every day and help the maintenance guys while the rest of the crew had a good time in the city (I think it was Frankfurt, but I don't remember). I was in the 346th from Dyess on rotation to Mildenhall at the time...

Jim Houston

I always heard back in about 1970 one of the MAC pilots who transfered from McGuire to Langley to the 36th jumped with the 82 at Pope. He was supposed to be the IP/AC.

The name I remember was Dave Lethgow. That may only be a rumor but at the time we believed it.

Bob