Load Going For The Jump

airnav

I threw this out a few years ago, and it's one of my favorites:

This is for the young buck's out there to keep the story living.

A C-130 load get's into an altercation with a jump master.......heated exchanges, and the load gets a sick-sack plowed into his face right before the jump master exits the Herk. The result....the load is pissed and JUMPS AFTER HIM! From what the O-Club stories say, the Load is really into a whacko fit on the DZ and a lot of paratroopers are bewildered.

Does anyone remember this incident?

Kurt

I remember this from way back in tech school, 1970. may nto be true, but sure is funny. nearly as much as when a loady of my acquaintance, sneaked up into the cockpit, and stealthfully ties 550 cord to the boot of the FE, will flyin' a drop. When the heavy goes oput the back, this loady grabs the cord and starts runnin back with it, givin' the FE, who had been giving this guy severe grief for quite a while, the impression he was attached to the pallet. apparently, there was never again any further aggravation. ain't sayin' this is true, BUT...........................................

Also, anybody out there remember the old soup in a barf bag passed back to the loads on a troop drop, who then proceeded to eat it?????? Or, during a fairly long trip to do troop drops at Bragg, a certain navigator who loved to throw empty beer cans down the crew steps into the cargo compartment??????????

YES, it is true. While at CCK in 1969 we were discussing that incident and I said it probably wasn't true. This one big load said it was and I asked how he knew that. He replied because it was me! I forget the guys name, but he was in the 776th some time during 1969.

My reply was the to the one concerning the Load that jumped after the jumpmaster. The story was that someone left the load a barf bag on the way out and he jumped out to "catch him".

I do not remember if RC Johnson was present for that or not.

Did an ARRS tour @ Kadena in the early 80s. We had a LM named MSgt Ron Worounos (sp?). As I recall, he was ID'd as the LM who jumped because one of the army jumpers spit on him... or something like that. The story has it since he didn't go out on the static line, we was on the ground waiting for the jumper to land. And as the saying goes, "That's when the fight started." Supposedly happened in the 70s @ POB with the 82nd.

We had a simular story where a jump qualified flight engineer put the flight mechanic in the center seat and went out the back with the jumpers for old times sake.

Although I still wear my jump wings that I earned during my Army days (I got mine in 1985 specifically!), and just finishing a week at Lawson dropping the current crop of new paratroopers, the thought of jumping out after one of them "for old-times sake" never crossed my mind! Of course there are the legal ramifications as well!! I'd like to stay in as an FE and retire eventually!

Mark

MyNewWings.jpg

I heard that in the mid 60,s. A jumpmaster from Ft campbell

let a barf barg fo in the face of a F.E. that was retriveing static lines.

When I retrived them the pilot made me hold a crash ax with orders to hit anybody that tried to grab for me.

I also wore a parachute.

I think it was late 63 or sometime in 64.

That is the tail the way I heard it.

Don't know it there is any truth to it.

Yeah I remember the USMC story, as I was told it was an OLD recon Gunny FE that "asked" if he could jump with the last stick and the AC said "sure" as in YEA RIGHT!. You know Marines you don’t have to tell us twice!! So there he went out the back... AC called for the FE to return to the flight station for landing and the loadee says something like that’s gonna be kinda hard he jumped out!!!

Cant remember the name but I heard stories this same Gunny would say to new copilots "I bet you (a beer!!!) I can beat you to the top of the aircraft (as he was standing outside and then "ride" the decelerating prop up to the top of the aircraft...

Edited by NATOPS1

Until the late '90s, it wasn't uncommon for RAF SF guys to jump with the SAS guys...then someone found out and the defacation hit the rotary air oscillator....big time. Firings, courts martial, etc. Don't know that it happens anymore...

Supposedly, it got so crazy at times, that at one time, a CP landed the plane...

...solo

I hear you, I used to put on a belly pack and strap in by the 245. On the other hand we did work with the SF guys in Korea once and they would'nt allow the aircrew to pay for any drinks when we went out on liberty. (They still tried to sell us on the idea of going out the back with them!)

This incident is true. It happened at Pope in 1964-65. The loadmaster's last name was Tomlinson. His first cousin, Jim Tomlinson, was also at Pope at the same time as was their uncle, who was a pilot in the 778th. I was in OTU at the time and heard the story right after it happened so it was probably in the fall of 1964. I'll try to get his cousin's name from Jim. The trooper threw his sick sack in the loadmaster's face as he went out the door and Tomlinson went out after him. I believe he had skydiving experience.

As someone who jumped from a perfectly good airplane, i guess i can see this happenin. But I do recall this happenin to me.....Had a really arrogant army jumpmaster at Pope one time just be a complete ass when he checkedmy plane for proper rigging. Now i didn't mind that abit, even though I was very meticulous about riggin' for troop drops. This P***k did just about everything but measure the tape I put on thedoor frames. anyway aftyer he his done, he pulls himslef up to his full five seven, and declares " I get PAID $55 a month to jump from this aircraft." I said " Big damn deal, i get paid $70 a month to stay in it." End of a budding friendship. Most the troops I dropped,though, were great, hardly any issues.

load clear

There was no fight until after they got on the ground. Tomlinson was a pretty good sized troop. He was standing behind the jumpmaster when the young troop threw the puke bag in his face. He just went out right after him. I don't remember what squadron he was in. Jim was in the 776th and his cousin may have been as well. I was in the 779th. At the time I didn't know there were two of them and thought it was Jim, but he went to Naha not long afterwards and I came over later and we were both in the 35th. I said something to him about it and he said that it was his cousin. Jim mentioned it on one of the Email groups not all that long ago.

We had several things happen at Pope about that time - like the A-models from Sewart that ran through the string of troops, the Sewart crew chief who fell out of the airplane over the Smokies, the loadmaster who was trying to retrieve static lines with a tiedown strap and let it get away from him and beat the heck out of the cargo door.

• 2 months later...

As I was told, there was a full load of jumper from the 101st at Campbell and two LM, one in front and one in the rear. the LM in front acted like he was using an airsick bag but instead filled it with cream of mushroom soup from the galley of the B model. He then had the jumpers pass the bag, warm of course, to the rear to the other LM and when he got it, he opened the bag and drank the contents....the results was a cancelled drop and a quick landing with a firetruck standing by to wash out the acft.

This was in the 60's some time but that is a close as I can get.

Never knew for sure if the story was true or not but having been a LM for as many years as I have.....we are a crazy bunch and are likely to do most any thing to brighton up the day.