Any one else make TSgt???

Back in the old days! One couldn't make Airman first (1961-65) on their first enlistment if they were in maintance (463rd FMS). We had a lot of open E-4 thru E-6/7 slots, but they were filled by by Airman seconds. Flight crews were given first priorty when it came to promations.. Almost all airman seconds held a 5 level rating. As an airman second, with a 5 level rating, one could sigh off a Red Diagional in the aircraft log.

Airman Thirds and Airman seconds without a 5 level rating, didn't have to pull maintenance duty on weekends, holidays or nights.

So much for the old days! OH, by the way, none of the deployments I went on were recorded. As such, the only comendation I have, is a good conduct medal! I served and it was the best part of my life. Too bad I had to mature a little to realize it.

The system they have now is different. I tested in March. Got my result today.

I have to wait until my line number is called, then I sew on. They promoted a total of 7,724 out of 37,172 eligible. In my AFSC 2A5X1(Heavies Crew Chief)

318 of 1,333 were promoted. My line number is 6,392. So, I plan on May-June of 2010 for sew on.

F*** My Life

I missed it by .9...3rd non-selectee for hydro

it was my 3rd time testing, missed it by 30 he first and 20 the second. I haven't studied due to the fact that i don't want tech because i don't want to be a 7 year tech and be pushed behind a desk and become an epr jocky. I like working for my paycheck, even though im an expiditer now *thumbs down*

So without studying i got 52 on pfe and 72 on SKT. I don't know whats worse, missing it by .9, or refusing to study and missing it by .9 and knowing if i would have read 1 paragraph in the pdg i would be a tech lol.

Oh well i guess next year i will study (and prolly miss it by 50 lol). Congrats to those who made it, im gonna celebrate making staff by breaking into my soju reserves

Very nice! I too had to wait a year when I sewed on Tech. Kind of sucked but it was nice having that line number. Gotta keep your ducks in a row for a year!

BTW, I sew on Master Sergeant in 13 days!! I tested out of cycle last November, got the announcement in December, and sew on July 1st. I'm an "All Remaining" guy just like it was when I made Tech but the wait is shorter this time!!

Guess I better head down to the sew shop and get a few uniforms ready for the "Monday Blues.". My flight suit name tags should arrive in the mail next week! SWEET!!!

Mark

POINT 9 smoedog??!!! That sucks! FWIW I made MSgt by 3.0 points even.

I have never heard of scores,lines, and cut-offs. When did all of that start? When I got out in Jan 71, I was a Staff Sgt. Some of us made it under 4 yrs., but I guess it wasn't a given. But I do know that the only testing I ever did was my 5-level. After that, I guess it was time in grade. If I would have been on C-130's when I made SSGT, I would have re-upped, but I was at Dover on those junker C-133's and decided that I couldn't take any more!!! Dumb move on my part!

Congratulations to those of you that made TSGT!!!

Ken Carlson

I believe it was started in 1968. To read how it works here is a good explanation. It's called the WAPS or Weighted Airman Promotion System.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weighted_Airmen_Promotion_System

Or here...

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/afpromotions/a/afpromotion.htm

And for a good (albeit long) paper on the history of the USAF promotion system here is that link...

http://www.icodap.org/papers/Optech/OT-2004-04-1-History_of_WAPS.pdf

Mark

I made SSgt at 3 years, 6 months, under Waps. Only loady in the 36th at the time to make it. I think there was one in the 37th, Dave Puyear, Ithink his name was, and maybe one in 38th, but can't remember. Was that sorta quick or about average????I did not have any high-grade decorations or anything, so don't really know how it came about.

Load clear

Congratulations!

Yes, I made Tech. Let's see (thinking, thinking) oh yea the year was 1977. I also had to wait a year to sew it on.

I was stupid, and got out (active duty) in 1980. I was out for 10 years then came back and went into the Air Guard and had to wait 5 more years to get it back.

Bob, I flew with Dave on several CTF flights when we first got to langley. I have a fuzzy mmemory of flyin' a check ride together, I think it was his, but am not sure. I do remeber it was with the Gray Ghost CMST V. Devitt. Now there was a stan/eval guy!!!!!Yup, I agree, also, I remember Dave as a good guy also. wondfer where he is today????

Aboard closed and checked

CMSgt Devitt There is a name from the past. What a professional!

I heard from Mike Roe in Yonkers NY and Will Guidry in Lafayette LA the the only 37 TAS loads I have heard from.

OOPS I forgot, the very infamous Mike Langford has recently retired in Texas. Retired at 60. We flew together in the 37 TAS, the 68 TAS the 181 TAS and then he found out his parents were not married and could not be a herk Load any more. He ended up as a load-boomer in KC-10's and retired at age 60.

Don't worry Mike I won't tell them about Panama and Chile.

Bob

Last I heard SMSgt. Not Chief? and I thought A1C was a stretch

Edited by bobdaley

Yep, anybody who got through one of SGT Devitt's checkrides had been through the wringer. If ya had the basic stuff down well, he went into trivia mode.......I know of no one who passed a check ride from him. he always found something you had to work on, and you were always better for it. He passed away a couple years ago.

As for langeford............what can be said?????????The guy was a ball to be around. Maybe four years ago he stopped here at my firestation for a visit. he was doing camping trailer deliveries then. Told me he was gettin' real close to bein' kicked out due to age. Glad he made it. A real fun guy

load clear

• 5 months later...

Cuz... I did!!!:):)

Congratulations on the promotion. I remember when I took the test for Staff back in 76 and made the grade. I was lucky and got a good score and line number so I sewed it on before I got out in 77.

I saw guys that were great at their jobs but hated testing and didn't get promoted because of that. Have they taken that into account over the years? We had one guy that made master in 12 years but could not do what was required of a master. He was great with books, an almost photographic memory, and tested extremely well. The senior in charge of the branch gave him a bad eval for not being able to handle the responsibilities of a master and guaranteed he'd have to come up to speed before his next promotion. We had a guy in the shop that could tear down any piece of equipment, had to respect of the people that worked for him, but wasn't good with book learning nor testing. Practical learning he excelled at but the bad testing hurt him. I often wondered if they fixed that.