Sloping Longeron Change

miamiair

• 3 weeks later...

They briefed at the PIWG that they are using a milling machine from the F15 depot floor to drill holes in the new longeron after the machine measures the hole pattern on the old one. It was supposed to cut quite a bit of time off the entire job.

Been part of the work crew once and seen it done several times. Most important thing is shoring

the empennage before removing anything. Once the item is removed, make a template of 1/4"

aluminium ..... job shouldn't take more than 2 - 3 weeks

• 1 month later...
  • 10 years later...

Hi guy, just a question about this longeron, 
we have a broken tilted tang in our longeron that we have not any repair in according to our structural repair manual . But there are other repairs 
concerning in the other places of this longeron  such as a vertical tang and the angular part.
so can any one suggest a solution for this huge problem, thanks.

Edited by mecano flyer

12 minutes ago, mecano flyer said:

Hi guy, just a question about this longeron, 
we have a broken tilted tang in our longeron that we have not any repair in according to our structural repair manual . But there are other repairs 
concerning in the other places of this longeron  such as a vertical tang and the angular part.
so can any one suggest a solution for this huge problem, thanks.

Actually we replace slopply longeron so I need some points which helps to change longeron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm with tiny,  don't remember ever replacing one of these in the field.  Do remember replacing several in conjunction with PDM.  Additionally, there were a couple of aircraft discovered in the field with excessive corrosion requiring immediate replacement.  In these cases we submitted a 103 and subsequently flew the aircraft to WR for replacement.  

This is not a job for the faint of heart.  It is a heavy depot level task.  Further, it requires highly skilled technicians not normally (ever) found at the I level.  The shoring required is massive.  The aircraft must be completely hangered and once maintenance commences it cannot be moved.  Very precise alignment, measurement, drilling, fitting and much more required.  Additionally,  tooling most likely would be an issue.   Not saying doing the task in the unit can't be done but only it'd probably increase difficulty and take longer.

The bright side to all of this is WR has extensive experience doing this, dating back to 1972, perhaps earlier.  I think it could be said, no one does it better.  

Keep in mine what is written above is my best recollection of events that occurred almost 50 years ago.  Some or all of it may or may not be pertinent today.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/4/2020 at 4:28 PM, miamiair said:

It wasn't that hard to do.  Shoring the airplane was the hardest part.  You need guys that are artists, not butchers to do the work.

Hi can you tell me some help point for changing the sloping longeron !!!

Thanks

• 3 years later...

To my knowledge the field can't change them.  Robins Engineering (for USAF and some FMS countries would dispatch a depot field team (military working at the depot or civilians specializing in such depot tasks) to the unit to perform the task.   I'm sure there are some MROs that have teams available for dispatch similar to that of Robins depot.