S9-bat

DC10FE

kingair200,

S9-BOQ is now registered as ZS-ORC.

AKLOAD,

BAT is the highest time Herc.

Interestingly, the person who sent me the time on S9-BAT was JB Ramos. He's a Filipino captain with Transafrik & is currently flying BAT out of Fujhaira (sp?). Last year, he received his 30,000 hour certificate from Lockheed! Those hours were as of 12/07.

Don R.

• 11 months later...

I heard it was a landing incident at some remote site in Afghanistan -- no casualties. Attached is a link to a photo of it in its National Airlines livery. Because of copyright rerstrictions, I've just attached the hotlink, not the photo itself. Too bad it has that extremely annoying "Airliners" watermark plastered across the bottom of the photo.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/National-Airlines/Lockheed-L-100-30-Hercules/1684993/L/

The last I heard, it had 99,700 hours on it. It would've been really neat to be on the crew that broke the 100,000 hour mark. I guess that'll never happen now.

Don R.

The incident happened at Sharana, Afghanistan -- according to Google Earth, it's southwest of Kabul. I have some photos, but have been asked not to post them yet. I'm sure someone else will get their hands on them & post them. It appears as if #4 prop is gone and the left wing is just about torn off. My source says that they apparently landed short in high winds. He also said it will probably be stripped & bulldozed into a ditch next to the runway.

Don R.

4134 was a 382B, a standard length commercial version of an H model. It was later modified to a 382G by inserting 2 plugs which made it the same size as an H-30.

Bob

Bob is correct in saying it's the same "size" as an H-30, but that's where the similarity ends. Notice that 4134 has the smaller air conditioning packs, a GTC & an ATM. Trying to compare military & commercial Hercs is like the apples & oranges comparison. Ain't gonna happen.

Another, of many, subtle & little known bit of differences between the C-130 & the L-100 is that on a commercial Herc, the fire extinguisher is the only system on the battery bus. None of that "FAJIVEE" crap we used to have to memorize -- at least we did 30 years ago.

Don R.

Edited by DC10FE
spelling, of course