63-7811 ARK ANG our other nose art Herk

arkherkyload

I guess since I am putting photos on here I will add this one. Here are our units other nose art bird. 63-7811. I took a photo of our units original markings that was carried on our Curtiss Jennies when the unit was formed back in 1925. This is a piece of canvas off of the original Jennies ( the diamond was just aft of the cockpit) and it is kept in our commanders conference room. So took a photo of it and cleaned it up and our maintenance guys converted it over to a huge nose art sticker. This diamond is our squadron emblem and we wear a modified version on our flight suits.

DSC_6843-WATER.jpg

DSC_6838-WATER.jpg

DSC_6833-WATER.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thanks publicly to arkherkyload (Bobby) for the pics he sent to me of 62-1804! It was like a reunion! I haven't seen it since 1970 at CCK where I was a Crew Chief on it! I spent 15 months on it, mostly Cam Rahn Bay, but also all over Southeast Asia! It almost always flew and was one of the better birds at CCK. Bobby said it is still flying and the pics he sent are beautiful--(except it is gray now).

Bobby, thanks again, and I will send some pics and stories of it for you to share with the crew chiefs!

Ken Carlson

I want to thank Bobby Dugger and the crew of "Spare 617" for their hospitality and making me feel welcomed during their visit to Thunder Over Michigan this past weekend. My wife made and decorated cookies with the Unit Logo and number again and they were a big hit. We love our Military and whatever we can do to say Thank You is worth any effort. It was really a great day for me to hang out with them!

100_2740.jpg

62 1804 was sent to West Virginia ANG after the VN war. I was reading your comment on 1804 in CCK. I was stationed at Pope AFB from 69 to 73 as a Jet Eng Mech. There was a friend of mine there from West Virginia that received orders to CCK, and on the way over to CCK the C-130 he was on crashed into the top of one of the mountians and it killed every one on board... Was you there then. After I was discharged from the AF I joined the WV ANG in Charleston.. I crewed 1804 for several years before it left for Guard Unit at Little Rock. It was a good flyer. Also did you know Dave Davenport while you was there? He did all the art work of C-130.. He was also stationed at Pope while I was there..

• 4 months later...