C-130 h3

nmcdaris

Last I heard the 153rd AW in Wyoming sent one of their planes down to Edwards to test the new 8-blade props for the LC-130s with the 109th guys from NY. (I guess this is that plane.) What ever happened with that program? Are the LC-130s going to get the new mod?

Mark

This is indeed one of the Wyoming ANG birds tail # 1537.

I talked with the FE and Crew Chief last year during their open house at

Cheyenne.

They tested this acft at Edwards for several months.

They indicated that it was quieter, had more power and was easier to maintain, replace components ie. individual blades could be changed out instead of the whole prop assy. Also the electronic valve housing was alot better than the old mechanical valve housing that has been around forever.

The picture does not show it very well but the dome and spinner are very, very large, larger than the old ones.

Only drawback to this 8 bladed prop is the cost! Not sure how much but the Crew Chief said considerably higher than the old 4 bladed props.

73, Rex

Edited by herkfixer
add text

Thanks Nat, developed way after my time.....our sam deterant was the loadmaster in the opened troop door with the verry flare pistol...things have come a long way.

Do you know if any of the C-130s have been equiped?

Muff

If you're asking about LAIRCM, I think about half of the H-model fleet has been modded. I believe NY and WY ANG are the only units that have airplanes with the 8-bladed props.

Sorry for the wrong tail number, for some reason 1537 stuck in my mind probably because we had a "B" model at Peterson that was 1537.

As you indicated by expanding the picture 1536 is the correct tail number.

So noted.

73, Rex

Thanks Nat, developed way after my time.....our sam deterant was the loadmaster in the opened troop door with the verry flare pistol...things have come a long way.

Do you know if any of the C-130s have been equiped?

Muff

Muff I remember that, the navagator loaded the pistol and told meto put my finger on the trigger an be ready to fire an reload an fire until I was told to stop. There was a report of a missile being fired in the area.

Hiya' US Herk,

Hope all is well is well in "Jolly Ole' England" mate!

I have it from a very reliable source that the "eight blades" will be on the Gunship's.......as to when, well time will tell I guess.

Have a pint or three for me,

Kurt

Got to fly the 8-blades some while it was at Edwards. Absolutely loved it! Just spoke with the last money guy from AMC & he told me there is no way AMC will pony up the cost up front for these. It would take something like 7 years to break even with the projected figures they have now.

I have heard AFSOC is taking a hard look though. Hopefully the fleet will at least get the electronic valve housings, they alone would be a great upgrade.

So, what's it sound like? I've heard the J-model sounds like an ATR-72. Is that correct?

Don R.

Hi Don,

you're right on the money, well at least a couple of ATR's. Unlike the J model's blades these one are a nice looking blade, similar to the ATR, but a lot bigger and much larger than the standard four blader.

Maybe Skier130 shed some light on how 492 performed during the last summer season in NZ.

Kev