Hi-Power EGR'S

trev130eng

My current USAF T.O. states that flaps should not be extended during an EGR. However, a Lockheed Rep visiting us in Muscat a few years ago told me that Lockheeds recomendation was for 50% flap to be used at all Hi-power settings to relieve the stress on the tail and to have at least 12K of fuel on board to counter the increased lift. What is the current thinking on this issue?

When I ran engines for MX, flaps were rolled to 50 for power runs. Pushing all 4 engs to max power req'd a certain gross weight, the amount of fuel was dependent on the op weight of the plane...but I remember 10 being about as low as you would want to go, not that ever stopped anyone from pushing sticks with less.....

Our T.O. states 95,ooo minimum gross weight for high power run. So based on your zero fuel weight adjust fuel load to get a minimum of 95K.

Flaps??? Some say up some say 50......Try both and I think you will go with the one that makes you more comfortable...Both have issues but either is fine. The tail bounces no matter the setting.

50 limits the air flowing over the horizontal stab so I think it is the better of the two.

• 2 weeks later...