ZZ Top guys in Desert Storm

venom 66

When I was in Desert Storm with the 345th TAS,I was assigned to what was known as 'quick turn'. For about a week,we worked 2-12 hour shifts doing nothing but catching 130's,parking them,looking them over,fixing any little problems,fueling them,and blocking them out. No matter what squadron, wing, or branch they were assigned to. Anyways,I had an idea one day waiting to move the power unit after eng start.There were two other guys to help with the cord and power unit, so after I told them what to do,when the taxi light came on we all snapped to attention (we were standing straight off the AC's left shoulder,but out beyond the left wingtip) then we saluted,and then did the ZZ Top circle with our arm thing,and then wave.I guess word got out because after a day or two,there was cameras and video recorders in the pilots and flt eng's hands as the acft blocked out. Anybody have any of those pics? I would love to see some! thank to all,keep up the outstanding work!!

I would have loved to have seen that.

*crosses fingers that someone has this*

To bad the internet was really not what it is today, back then. You would be on Youtube with the air marshal dancers.

Looks like there been a change since I was in, If we had did that we would put in a stright jacket, and took off to the hospital.:D

I remember back in '88 or so, there was an SP at the RAF Lakenheath main gate that was waving traffic through while "break dancing" through his routine. Amusing, but still ridiculous and a quick way for a commander to get his ass chewed.

Now the ZZ Top mode for turn-around.......cool! I would have loved to have seen that. Especially during the tumultuous operations during Shield/Storm; there were a lot of times in those day's when a smile and/or a good laugh was worth a thousand words.

Kurt

Hey Venom, long time! I sure do remember the ZZ Top send-off when we were @ KFIA. As I recall we had some good times while in the desert and of course the UNFORGETTABLE return thru India & Thailand. Now that I'm an old & crusty retiree I am @ Cannon as a contractor working on the Silent Shield program with our -130's. Drop me a line so we can catch up!

Redd

Hey Woody, looking back through my old documents I found one from Gunny Ramey & here are the stats we provided during that quick turn moment: recovered & launched 104 acft, serviced over 4 million pounds of fuel & corrected all grounding discrepancies, gaining a 100% launch reliability rate. As for a picture, I do have one that one of the crews coming back for a second round gave me, I will have to dig it up & see if I can forward you a copy.