Libyan C-130's at Dobbins

SonnyJ

The acft are 35yr-old junk with 5-10hrs flt time on them. They've literally been sitting in the back yard for over 35yrs. Delapidated, delaminated, detiorated & neglected beyond use - all of them total losses.

Edited by Jeffysan

Actually they are not at Dobbins but located in outside storage at Lockheed. While assigned to Dobbins for many years I visited them many times. As you step off the crew door you have to step over the rotted floor. On the flt deck is all the 780 equipment. Everything is brand new but old and how it stinks. In the cargo compt are all the troop seats new and stowed. It is full from 245 all the way back to the troop doors with wooden crated spares. it is like walking back in time. The Lockheed forms are on the nav table showing the first flt date and later ground inspections done by Lockheed while waiting for transfer. Then the insps. stop. The main gear doors have settled into the chocks when the tires went flat. The flight controls bang the stops as the wind blows because after a short time the boost packs had all the hyd fluid milked out and there are no gust locks. Birds have nested for years in the engines as they used duct tape to cover the intakes. The brand new intake plugs are still stowed inside on the wall. I have some pics somewhere but Bob Daily may still have copies I sent him long ago. They are sitting in 2 groups of 4. If you use Google earth and go to Marietta Ga then zoom in on Dobbins you will see them south of the runway and east and south of the Lockheed flight line. Also SonnyJ, back in the late 80's early 90's some folks from the town where you work came up and did a survey on them and said "Ferget it" as far as them ever flying again. Bill

Edited by Spectre623

Bill,

Thanks for the info. They are taking a look at them again to see what is recoverable and since the aircraft have been forgotten for so long, I figure some of you might have some insight on them.

I saw some pictures a while back of all the equipment and the CLSS did a site survey/assessment a few years back but i haven't been able to track down either. Thanks for all the info so far. Keep it coming, especially if someone has pictures.

Sonny

I was on a flight to washinton this week. My seatmate was a lockheed guy. Just at Lockheed taking stock of the stuff. They cracked some crates. T-56 engines like they just came off the line. All the parts were sealed so they got headers that look brand new. To bad the planes are not that way. Total loss write offs. They should just pack all those parts into a C-5b and fly them over and drop them off and be done. But I guess someone has to make some more money on stuff that was paid in full 35+ years ago. They want to get a few Libyans over to review what they want to keep. All of this I guess started backup up after the embargo and terrist list removal.

Talk about instant flashbacks...looking at the Nav's station I see an APN-59 RADAR scope. Canadian Marconi APN-147 (washing machine) Doppler Nav RADAR, ASN-35 Nav Computer system, and on the right shelf an SCR-718 High Altitude RADAR scope. All systems I broke-my-teeth on in 1968. Good luck finding parts for those relics. And why would anyone want to anyway. Brand spanking new and yet they outlived their technology and usefullness sitting in the Georgia sun.

I am absolutely sure, now that we are all friends again, "good ole Uncle Sam" will dig into it's not so deep pockets and pony up some brand new birds or the money for them. Especially in the new Era of America apologizing for being America.

Yea, it all started going downhill with P.C.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end.