130's over Alamo

c***w

This is the real Alamo. Don't know how long it's been like this.

As for the picture of me with the wedding party, I just had to do it. Even all the bridesmaids were laughing. Actually, everyone thought it was funny except the groom. But, look what he is wearing, and it was over 100 that day.

That Alamo pic was taken at Bracketville TX over the set made for the John Wayne Movie.

Lead pilot was the 433 Wing King General Huff. If I remember Bill Cole was mission commander, and I think Norm Buescher was the third AC. Anyhow it got on the cover of the AF Times. Some idiot Active duty General in the pentagon saw it, thought it was the real Alamo in Downtown San Antonio and fired the wing commander, I mean right then over the phone, without hearing any explanation. The firing stuck.

Edited by bobdaley

I remember seeing that photo if I remember correctly its not the real Alamo. Years ago a movie set was built somewhere around San Antonio and that is what you see in the picture.

Yeah Bob, that set was for the Alamo movie with John Wayne. Its actually a mile or two away from my land in TX just outside of Bracketville.

Dan

That was 433 TAW aircraft in the picture. This picture has been published several times, in print and on the Internet. Story goes that some heads in Wing Ops got in trouble after someone reviewing the photo determined that they were flying below 500 ft, which was our minimum over populated areas in those days.

It was the 433. The only one fired was the wing commander.

He was fired because an idiot general (That maybe redundant) in the Pentagon thought they were flying over the real Alamo in downtown San Antonio.

The movie set in Bracketville is in a totally unpopulated area. The 500 foot rule did not apply. When that came out, to spare the Pentagon clown embarrasment, after all it was just a Reserve BG, he was fired for leading a non standard formation.

He was one of the good guys. Too bad.

Bob

Thanks for the Info. on the picture.I got me a large print made,now I am going to put the story with it. The 433rd.TAW would that be Dyess, tx.?

and about what year was this.:confused:

I seem to remember being told that it was around '75 to '76. But with all the Budweiser and Jack Daniels brain fuel additives throughout the year's I could be mistaken.......

Kurt

1976 sounds about right. I had just transfered from the 706TAS AFRES at NOLA, closed and went to A-37's, to the 433TAW at Kelly. General Jenkins was the replacement Wing CC.

I am on Cape Cod and I don't have my records with me but I think 1976.

Bob

Thank you Bob,Cape cod sounds migthy nice, have a good one. Davis.

:)

1976 sounds about right. I had just transfered from the 706TAS AFRES at NOLA, closed and went to A-37's, to the 433TAW at Kelly. General Jenkins was the replacement Wing CC.

I am on Cape Cod and I don't have my records with me but I think 1976.

Bob

Thank you Bob,Cape cod sounds migthy nice, have a good one. Davis.