My daughter was promoted to Airman on 17 July. She's now at Sheppard for tech school, and no, it doesn't have anything to do with aircraft maintenance. I told her to do anything but, with the way they treat maintenance people these days, and it seems to keep going downhill.

I remember when I was in, it wasn't so bad when we were knee deep in shit, until they told us to stand on our heads. BOHICA!

A picture of us out at the break area by the Dorm.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. She has changed a lot in the last few months, and here I thought the USAF would have to change to accomodate her!

I'll never sell out maintenance. I've been doing this for 35 years now, and I can say that I am proud of anyone who has anything to do with A/C maintenance or operations.

I'm just getting tired of shaking my head every time I see new changes come down, wondering what the hell these people are trying to do to my Air Force. My neck feels like I've been sitting through a 7-6, 6-7, 7-6, 6-7, 7-6 tennis match.

To quote Lt. Col Frank Slade, "If I were the man I was 5 years ago, I'd take a flame thrower to this place!"

Outstanding and congratulations to daughter and mom and dad. That's the one thing that can surely fix the Force. Good airmen and women decended from good airmen and women, good roots.

Enjoy the "ride"! There will be trials, but they will end up being a part of the fun and fond memories. There's a reason so many great guys and gals stick till retirement. And make the best of wherever you might be stationed. Even a hellhole can have it's good side.

Tiny you were spot-on about basic. If every young person experienced what Basic training taught, this would be a completely different society today.

Thanks for sharing and good luck.