ATTN: Gunship folks!

alphacharlie130

Is "Ghost riders in the sky" still the great song among Gunship folks these days? I remember being in the company of some crazy S.O.Bs. in the NCO club at Kirtland , as soon as Ghost riders began to play (Johnny Cash version) these dudes started hooten and hollerin like a pack of mad dogs while standing damn near at full attention while hoisting their pitchers of beer all the while as the song played from start to finish. These boys were in town with one of their birds for an appt at the refurb shop. Helluva bunch of good folks though! Little did I know that years later later I would be joining those folks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Being a former gunship F.E at the 16th SOS . Ghost riders in the sky is still the Official Theme Song . I remember being told when I first started flying the Gunpig . IF your out in a bar and the Song is played You had to stand at attenion to Honor all our felllow Gunship Crew Dogs Past and those that had Fallen. Another Song that was known by thr gunship boys and gals is the Song BAD Company, By Bad Company, due to the fact that there is aLine in the Song that goes ( Six Gun Sound, Is our claim to Fame) Our Six gun on the H model was the 105mm. I'm a firm belevier in there is no Such thing as Over Kill. We had one acft tail No# 6570 that IS named Bad Co.

If you aint Spectre , You aint Sh**,, Hooooooo

Archie

Anyone remember the NCO club at Ubon, Ghost Riders would play, then someone would request Batman (Blindbat) and generally all heck would break loose. I believe that playing both songs were banned. Both were a bunch of great guys. I had the honor of serving with both on two separate tours. Blindbat while at Naha, and Spectre on tour to Ubon. Great, Great memories. Some things just cant be bought. What a deal.

C. Wayne Wright

• 13 years later...

Response to Wayne Wright, he is absolutely correct on theme songs for gunships and blindbat at the club after ships returned and bedded down. I was stationed at Naha and filled in for a crew chief on balls 008 or 005 if I remember correctly. I was later recruited to "E" flight the 5 gray C-130s acft 56-0523. Enjoyed it