c-130 Fat Albert

KarlK

Can anyone tell me what the thin horizontal bar above the nose and below the center windscreen is? Is this a landing light? I just viewed your picture of the C-130J in Iceland and it also shows this horizontal bar above the nose. I am building a plastic model of the Blue Angels C-130 Fat Albert and I noticed this bar appearing on the current "Fat Albert" but not on the older versions.

KarlK

Thanks for your help! That would make sense. I quess I questioned it because if you see earlier versions of "Fat Albert" the yellow nose paint is painted over the hinge thereby hiding it. This years version you can actually see the silver or grey hinge cover that is not colored Blue Angel Yellow.

KarlK

the reason you don't see it on the earlier models like the C-130A's is because the A model nose didn't have a hinge it was just held on by bolts. i'm not sure if the B's had it or if that improvement came with the E's[/quote

I wish you hadn't mentioned the radome on the A-Model! Changing them was one of the "Air Force Memories" I would have rather forgotten!

Ken Carlson

Speaking of radome bolts...

I opened the radome on Talon 1 at Rhein Main, and red x'd it of course. The aircraft took off and landed at another base, and they noticed the radome was loose.

Turns out the guy that signed it off from the truck had a 3 level go make sure the bolts were installed in the radome. They sure were, well, at least the dummy bolts on the outside edge were. He never looked inside at all.

Back in the late 1970's we had a 37th crew depart Rhein Main to do some short field work at Grafenwoer & when they landed there & reversed the props, the radome blew up and locked. I'm sure some heads rolled on that one, too.

Don R.