Bob Hope C-130 Stories/Pic's?

airnav

I had the honor good fortune to be one of the crews that supported the Bob Hope show Dec 1970. We went a few days early to Donmoung Bankok and then two of the three crews flew the cast and support equip (two planes).

At the VN bases it was hard to believe that so many troops showed up for the show. There were always thousands of troops at each stop. The Bob Hope, the csat and all were always upbeat and so enthused to what they were doing...supporting the troops.

Every night was a big party at the Bankok hotel where they were staying. The crews were required to be close to the stage or back stage at all times in case they had to get out of there real fase. We all had a lot of face time with Bob Hope and the cast members.

Most all my pictures are on 8 mm film.

Muff

• 2 weeks later...

One of the E models we got at Charlie West had a Bob Hope show sticker on the aft end of the overhead panel. I can't remember which tail # it was but I remember it was Bob Mullens' bird. I tried to talk him into covering the sticker with plexiglass to preserve it but he didn't. I thought it was part of history. That bird is now at Little Rock. I remember his mention of his Herk crews one year during a VN Christmas show. Those C-130 crews are happy go lucky .... happy if it starts and lucky if it goes!

John Wilson's (posts here) brother Tom went to the Bob Hope show in Saudi during Desert Shield.

One of the E models we got at Charlie West had a Bob Hope show sticker on the aft end of the overhead panel. I can't remember which tail # it was but I remember it was Bob Mullens' bird. I tried to talk him into covering the sticker with plexiglass to preserve it but he didn't. I thought it was part of history. That bird is now at Little Rock. I remember his mention of his Herk crews one year during a VN Christmas show. Those C-130 crews are happy go lucky .... happy if it starts and lucky if it goes!

John Wilson's (posts here) brother Tom went to the Bob Hope show in Saudi during Desert Shield.

The acft is 62-1824, one of the best

RZ HIll

Thanks for remembering one of the greatest entertainers. Bob was willing to give up everyone of his Christmases while there were soldiers in combat.

I was TDY to Bangkok the week of Christmas 1969. Bob and company showed up and began making day trips to Viet Nam on one of the C-130's assigned to him. On his 3rd day the palne that was assigned was scrapped for the day and my plane was available. Bob asked me if my plane would take them there and back. I assured him it would. He and company loaded up and headed out. They returned that evening and as I met them coming off the plane I asked Bob if my plane did it's job. He said it perfomed wonderfully and thanked me and shook my hand and my assistant. I was told to prep the plane for the next day and Bob flew on heer again. The original plane was fixed and Bob returned to flying it again. My plane was #64-0505 and we went back to regular missions. 2 days later we hauled a group of people to Chang Mai. On Christmas day we hauled ROK's to Bien Hoa.

There are 2 pictures attached. The first is Bob Hope at CCK 1968. As you can see I didn't get very close. The second picture is Dang's Herky Heaven near the flight line at Bangkok. Hope this brings back good memories. I ate quite a few Ham and Cheese sandwiches there.

Wil

• 1 month later...

If he was there in '68, then he came back in '69 when I was there. I cannot remember how many of us were involved but the mission for the day of the show was to fly to various parts of Taiwan (we may have gone over to Kadena as well) "collecting" military personnel and flying them back to CCK for the show - and then returning them when the show as over. My flight orders required me to bring them to the show but the scheduling officer neglected to include that my crew and I were to return them after the show. Part of the after the show base festivities included some libations for everyone, which allowed me to invoke the "24 hours from bottle to throttle" reprieve when I got the irate phone call from the scheduling officer wanting to know where my crew and I were since our passengers were now eager to return home. I never did find out how they made it. All I know is that I was quickly sent back to Vietnam for another 24 day shuttle.

• 5 months later...

While I was at Naha, I went to the Bob Hope show on a Marine base up towards Kadena! I think it was 1968. He was accompanied by Ann Margaret, Rosie Greer, and the Gold Diggers.

I do have quite a few pics of the show, and I was using a 200mm lens on my camera and they still look a mile away!

Later, probably 69 or 70 a CCK bird carried the show to Viet Nam and back. My buddies also remember going to a show at CCK one of those two years, but I guess I must have missed it!

I do remember the plane carrying the show coming in to CCK one night, and I saw Connie Stevens who was one of the show members. According to the crew chief on the plane the people in the show sat on the web seats and Bob Hope had some kind of compartment to sleep in!!!

I will have to talk to my friends and get the exact dates and locations of the shows they attended! They did mention the show at CCK being of a football field or something like that!

Ken

In December 1972 after the crash on Guam, the Wing Midget, to punish the CCK crews took the Bob Hope mission away from the 374th and gave it to the 37th TAS that was at CCK TDY at the time. Three crews and 2 Herks frpm the 37th flew the show that year.

Red Fox, Lola Falana, and Belinda Green-Miss World were the headliners. Jim Nabors was not on the trip.

You maybe meant 1971?

Bob

• 7 months later...

1968 CRB, hydraulic shop(tdy side of base) drew straws and two lucky guys got to go. Lucky me was one. We arrived early and stayed late. As best I remember the show got a late start. Some enterprising guys next to us had brought a "BIG" trash can full of iced beer and to our surprise shared their bounty with the two of us. It was a time I'll never forget.

Side story: Some years ago I was in a antique shop in Palm Springs, Ca. and found Bob Hopes Personal "Operation Holly" Stage Pass for the 1968 USO tour. I've researched it some but have few details. It's hand made, has his name on it, and is embossed. This happened prior to his passing. Can't tell you how badly I wanted to contact him for authentication, but, respect for his privacy overruled my personal wants. I'm a lucky guy. It means a lot to me and brings back some good memories.

The acft was 62-1824 , dang dave you really have CRS

Made me look in my never opened drawer. In the very bottom I found my Bob Hope Christmas Show Thailand Stage pass.

I looked on the back and it says "Return to HQ Commandant MACTHAI" I screwed up again. I still have the signed photo Bob Hope gave us a memento on my "I was a Hero" wall.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...