Impact Lights

Mt.crewchief

Awhile back, I was telling a friend (non Air Force crew-chief type) about all of the flashlights we went through and the ones that you could hold in your mouth while using both hands for work! Then I had a memory flash of the impact lights that were on the E-Models at CCK when I got there in Mar. 1969. I think by the time I left there in 1970 they were no longer in use--at least there were none left on any of the planes I worked on especially 1804!

Does anybody remember how many were supposed to be in place, and where? I do remember they were safety wired (copper) to their positions or at least the handle was! I do know that they made a decent flashlight! What do you supposed ever happened to them?

Does anybody have a picture of one?

I think they would make good souvenirs.

Ken Carlson

Yes they worked pretty good as flashlights...I know there were many nights I went out to an aircraft and needed a light (forgot mine or mine went dead etc) and pulled one of these out to use. I know it aggravated a few crew chiefs because they had to go back and re-secure it in place with the copper wire.

Remember them well............one of my favorite things to advise the flight deck crew that one had come on after a firmer than normal landing. Don't know what they wers upposed to activate at, but soem would. I am quite certain that the landings, though not exactly greasers, were not in the 2 g range or whatever. Or could they have been? I sorta remeber somethin' about hard landings had to be reported and inspections done, but can't remeber if activating exit lights brought that on. anyway, thanks for bringin' back another long faded memory from long, long ago.

Load clear

Remember them well............one of my favorite things to advise the flight deck crew that one had come on after a firmer than normal landing. Don't know what they wers upposed to activate at, but soem would. I am quite certain that the landings, though not exactly greasers, were not in the 2 g range or whatever. Or could they have been? I sorta remeber somethin' about hard landings had to be reported and inspections done, but can't remeber if activating exit lights brought that on. anyway, thanks for bringin' back another long faded memory from long, long ago.

Load clear

We used to have the load turn on a couple after a co-pilot landing -- he bought the beer that night :)

Can't remember for sure but it seems to be that the -1 said something about the impact lights coming on at 2-3 G's. But that was 20 years ago and my memory isn't what it used to be.

The last time that I wrote up a bird for a hard landing was at the school house and the IP, who's ego was much bigger than his skill level, asked how I judged the landing to be hard. So I told him that I had to pull the nose gear strut out of my A** as I got out of my seat.... It was probably the hardest landing I ever experienced including assaults. Luckily the IP, a major, was on his way to another assignment anyway. That being with the 89th at Andrews. Lucky for me, bad for them..... :D

From the 33GS

"If the airplane experiences deceleration in excess of 2.5 g’s along its longitudinal axis, the inertia switch in the emergency exit light assembly closes."

This is why they have fwd faceing arrows on them.

Thats was a John McKinney stan eval question/answer, ever checkride I got from him he ask why the impact lights had the foward facing arrows.

Mike.