Crew ID?

sailor50

Great toon!

It reminds me of a bird colonel that bounced in heavy (THREE TIMES ACTUALLY), and the flight engineer said, "Great series of landing's sir. Are you going to log all of them?"

That was one of the best smart ass comments I ever heard.

Kurt

I've flown with that colonel --I think we all have.

When the 37th was brand new at Rhein Main, the wing king was C-9 qualified, I think. Anyway, he was in the left seat with an IP in the right. We were doing a formation flight and were starting to overtake lead. The colonel yanked the throttles back and started to lift them over the gate. I reached down and just beat the IP in grabbing his arm and said, "Oh, no, no, no. I don't think we want to do that, sir." The IP (I think it was John Riebie, now with UPS) bought me a beer after landing. Aah, the things I will do for a free beer!

Don R.

Was at CCK on alert duty for the day, was the last day of the month. At around 3PM we get called out for an urgent mission. A plane was inbound and had mission essential cargo and had to get to Talkili Thailand. We were all set to go and instead of our regular nav a "wing weenee" Major took his place. Seems like he wanted to get his tax time in for the two months as we would be in and out of country on two months. Well off we went, all was fine til we got to Talkili, due to the base just being reoppened we were limited to only being able to get ten thousand lbs of fuel. We all wanted to RON as it was near mid night and a looooong day. But the "wing weenee" insisted that we get back as he had important projects that he HAD to get to. Well I told the AC we were scosch on fuel...and the wing Major said we could get clearance to fly higher to conserve fuel. I protested but who the hell was I only a lowly TSgt. He works at "Wing Hqds". OK off we went as we approached the east coast of SVN we requested higher to conserve fuel.....instead the controller came back and told us to decend and maintain 18000! Seems there was inbound higher priority traffic at higher levels!

Well as most of you know we had to have a minimum of 10000 lbs of fuel left when we got to Taiwan......we would have been very close to that so after the aux and externals were empty and the mains started down, about an hour out of CCK I ran the fuel gages down to only a couple hundred in each tank and pulled the CBs. That major started to sweat, so much that my boots got wet. Of course I let the AC and Copilot know what I was doing.....

I'll bet that Major never had "Go Homeitius" ever again. To this day I don't think the Major ever knew what I had done and that we were always OK on fuel but very tired when we landed at dawn on the first day of a new month. I'm still laughing over that trick.

Muff

The year 1969, the place Dyess AFB, flying a pilot check ride for a wing weenie every approach he flew was screwed up, he couldn't maintain heading or altitude, his air speed was all over the place, the one I remember the most, at the outer marker he was 40-50 degrees off heading at the inner marker he was almost 90 degrees off the other way. He passed his check ride, the examiner's excuse was, "he would never fly without an IP". "But what if the IP gets sick" he didn't answer.

We had big feeling pilot in our unit that thought he was too cool. The pilots were betting a beer on the best landing and he said "I got this one greased". The FE turned on the leading edge anti-icing when he flared. The pilot prolly expected it because he immeadiately compensated and then the leading edge anti-icing came off. IIRC he made a series of landings too.:eek:

Edited by Dave in WV

My first crew i flew the shuttle in Vietam with were two LT Col. One was the pilot the other Co pilot. I think they had been flying a desk for the last ten years. I was freash out of FE school. They got got my attention when we would make a short field take off in country when.. they put there hands on the throttles for take off there hands would begain

to shake i didn't know if to be scared or not. Back to the fule gages running them back and pulling the C/B. I flew the A, B, D, and the E models and tought at the school house for three years and i don't rember any test button for the fuel gages. It has been 32 years sence i made my last flight but i don't rember any test button for the the fuel gages. are you sure you you are not talking about a earlyer model 130. I rember a lot i belive i could teach a class to day.But time and ptsd could haved messed with menory.

Don you are the seccond person that has told me about the fuel gages so youall must be right. I just can't belive i could forget somthing like that. I new i was having problems rembering things. The Doctor's said my ptsd would get worse the older i got but times i spent on C130 always seemed clear in my mind.

That picture was painted on a panel in the cockpit of 73-1597 or 1598 when they were assigned to the 374th. Maybe had a Filipino artist do it. Security not such a big deal then; remember the furniture store truck coming out to the airplanes to unload Narra bars and papasan chairs etc. etc. Tac treasures. Them were the days...

I was on the flightline doing a preflight when the plane landed . It was a strange site to see i saw the plane draging it's tail down the runway The life raft's in the wings were depoling. For a minet i could not belive what i was seeing. I guess that is what you would call a hard landing.