Attack of Dananf Ab, RVN, 15 Jul 1967

Dutch

Wow!

16 F-4's and 2 Herks....dang! During my training days (tech school) into the skycops (1979) we had a few instructors that had background in the Air Police, they'd talk a bit about their experiences - but not much. The flight I was on was accused one night of swiping an F-4 drag chute - we'd found the thing sitting on the "15 in 5" road off one end of the runway. Another day I got to watch a Turkish F-100 go off roading (off the end of the runway) and out to the base golf course. The "old heads" those days kept the CCR playing and beer flowing on break days, quite the inspiration!

Anybody out there remember "Toga I" at the "Lick"? Seems folks in the leadership realm decided a blowout, some OJT for us snot-nosed buggers on bat-hanging & crud was in order. Only thing I saw years later that almost reached the intensity of Toga I (and later that year Toga II) was a trash-haulers ball the squadron held (I retrained to LM - shoulda' done it sooner!)

Fleagle

Dutch, thanks for that picture. It brought back some not so fond memories. If you look at the top left of the picture there is another Herk. The attached pictures are of this aircraft. I was the 3rd wiper on this plane the night w were hit. I have added a few extra pics.

scan0001 - tent we stayed in

scan0004 - The bunker we spent the night in

Scan0005 - The minefield near our tent

scan0006 - Guard Tower near our tent

Scan0008 - A barracks that was destroyed by a rocket

scan0009 - Rocket hole near the command center

Scan0016 - another view of my wing tip

scan0022 - Puff on ramp

scan0028 - Revetments before the attack

62-1815 - Me standing near the damaged wing

62-1815(F4) - the F4 that was hit that started my plane on fire.

we were flying the Cricket day mission and were going to rotate back to CCK AB in a few dys. After the planes were destroyed they moved the ABCCC missions to Udorn with the other ABCCC aircraft already there. After looking at the pictures I realize how small the ramp was.

Once again thanks for the reminder. Wil