C-130H 2.5s

SonnyJ

If I remember correctly, H2's have Analog gauges and old APN-59 Radars, H2.5's have Digital fuel gauges, rosemont pitot system, Low power color radar and a few other avionics upgrades. Then you have H3's with MACAWS and digital flight instruments, and a flight deck designed for NVIS. Then H3.5's which start with 95-1001. They have digital engine instruments and strip formation lights. They also have a microwave :D I think Minnesota has all them though.

The Guys at Mansfield Ohio are the only ones with H2.5, The H2 that we have here at Youngstown have Digital Fuel Gages. We have 89's , 90's and 92's All of our birds have Low power color radar. No more Apn 59.

The guys at Mansfield are the 179AW, Ohio Air Guard Their call signs are Herky

Archie

I never flew the H2's in the USAF (after my time), but our L-100-30 in Angola had the digital fuel gauges, plus the reclining FE seat & a flushable lav. It also had a different TD amp, Rosemount pitot system & the oil cooler augmentation system. I guess it was the commercial version of an H2.

Don R.

tail Number 89-9101 is not a H 2.5 . It a Straight H2, If you guys want I will call Mansfield and get there tail numbers for you. The big differance is that the 2.5 has some glass on the pilots and copilots instrument panel. The U model Gunship is a converted H2 so they are a class by themselves. I did allot of test flying out at Chino for the SOFI H model gunship. and during that time helped out with the U model test program with the guys out at Edwards AFB . The U model is not a H 2.5.

FYI...The H2.5s were the last Herks produced before the H3s came on board. At the time of delivery none of them had glass displays or LPCR. I've been retired a few years now but let me see if I can remember some things.

Louisville replaced their B's with H2.5s. They may have been the first unit equipped but not sure anymore. Youngstown only had late model H2s but they were not H2.5s. Their Herks were later upgraded with glass displays, LPCR, etc. The H2.5s I think were later moved to one unit which may or may not have been Youngstown.

From what I can remember the main item(s) that distinguished an H2 from and H2.5(at initial delivery) was the H2.5 were the first Herks with GCUs vs GCPs. I wanna say Main AC bus tie as well but not sure anymore. I know there were one or two other items but they escape me now.

When I retired there were a few H2.5s that had been distributed throughout the fleet. Dobbins had one(or two) for sure and Maxwell had one I believe.

I retired from flying at Robins where we flew them all. It gets blurred as to which models were which after flying them all so many times. lol

With all the post production mods the line get's blurred even more. I wanna say the H2.5s numbers started around either 89 or 91 production years. Where there any 90's? FY92 and on are H3.

Edited by jbob

I was just checking applicability and is it possible there are more H2.5 aircraft out there? The reason I ask is bob daley and TalonOneTF in an older post (http://www.herkybirds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5309) pointed out that one of these three aircraft is a 2.5:

91-1239

89-9101

94-6704

Sonny

Only 91-1239 is an H2.5 the other two are an H2 and H3

On the Guard side, The H2's started with 78-0208 and continued thru 90-1058 The digital fuel gauges, started with 84-208 (Delaware) Rosemont Pitot system With Texas 86-1361 , along with oil cooler augmentation.

Mansfield tails are 90-1791 thru 90-1798. Louisville recieved 12 acft starting with 91-1231.

Mansfield and Louisville are H-2.5 acft.

Now since the Brac crap some have been shifted around.

Cheyenne Has the first H-3's then Charlotte, then Martinsburg of which 8 have gone to Charlie West, including the first 4 3.5's

The last H-3.5's went to Minneapolis.

RZ Hill

On the Guard side, The H2's started with 78-0208 and continued thru 90-1058 The digital fuel gauges, started with 84-208 (Delaware) Rosemont Pitot system With Texas 86-1361 , along with oil cooler augmentation.

Mansfield tails are 90-1791 thru 90-1798. Louisville recieved 12 acft starting with 91-1231.

Cheyenne Has the first H-3's then Charlotte, then Martinsburg of which 8 have gone to Charlie West, including the first 4 3.5's

RZ Hill

RZ are you sure the first H2 was a 78 model? I was thinking it was an fy 79 model. OKC had the first one I was thinking. I'm curious what is everyones standard for distinguishing an H1 from an H2?

FCS105 AP, ???

As far as Mansfield having H2.5s now, that might be the case but unless I'm incorrect the planes, as delivered, were H2s although late model ones. Their planes did not have GCUs. But perhaps it's just a difference in how people saw and applied the differences.

RZ is right the 78's are the first H2's, two major system changes that differ an H1 from an H2 are the autopilot/flight director (105) and no wing isolation valve, H2's only have a bleed air divider valve. Also the H2's have two cb for the fire bottles. The H2.5's were done by the guard, only the 12 Kentucy and 8 Mansfield tails were done. We stopped moding when AMP was announced otherwise we might all have had it done by now!

My 2 cents

It makes me miss the Guard whenever I go on a trip and see any of those H2s and above. I was getting a tour of a WV Herk at Lawson a couple months ago and the crew chief was actually embarrassed his grip tape on the ramp was torn in a couple places. (I was very impressed with how nice the whole plane looked!) Shoot, we're lucky if any of our tape has ANY stick to it! Ahhhh...the life of an active duty H and H1 guy.... I'm happy if I show up to preflight for a SKE mission and I don't have to ask the chief to install the PPI! Even happier if the darn thing has a presentation!

(H2 and H3 envy over!)

Mark

RZ Hill

I'm at Delaware and all of ours have digital fuel gauges, starting at 84-0206. I can't remember, but I think Schenectedy (83s) may have digital as well.

I think the old OK City (now Pittsburg) airplanes started the Guard H2's with 78-0806.

RZ Hill

4 at Youngstown, 2 at Boise and 1 (former Boise) at Cheyenne.