C-130 airlift squadron to activate, associate with Peterson reserve unit

fltsload

10/5/2009 - PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. -- A second C-130 Hercules airlift squadron moved to Colorado Springs Oct. 3, joining the Air Force Reserve's 302nd Airlift Wing at Peterson during an activation and assumption of command ceremony.

The 52nd Airlift Squadron joins the 302nd Airlift Wing as part of the Air Force's "Total Force Integration" initiative that brings together active duty and Reserve Airmen under the same organization, flying the same aircraft. Through 2012, the squadron is expected to bring approximately 180 additional Airmen to the Colorado Springs area.

"Total Force Integration is about efficiencies," said Col. Jay Pittman, 302nd AW commander. "The active duty Airmen coming to Colorado will fly and maintain our C-130s right alongside our Reserve Airmen. The Air Force has a need to make more efficient use of aircraft available and (the 302nd AW) is part of that equation."

Lt. Col. Carlos Ortiz, a C-130 senior navigator, is the 52nd Airlift Squadron's commander.

"We look forward to working and flying with the men and women of the Air Force Reserve Command and will strive to be the model for C-130 active associations," Colonel Ortiz said. "We're looking to optimize mission performance by bringing active duty and Air Force Reserve resources together."

He also added, "The point of this association is how we share the aircraft. I think the high experience level of Air Force Reserve members will be an invaluable asset in training our younger active duty Airmen."

While the 52nd Airlift Squadron will be assigned to the 19th Airlift Wing, an active duty unit located at Little Rock AFB, Ark., its members will be stationed at Peterson.

Once activated and associated with its Air Force Reserve counterpart, the squadron will fly the same C-130s on the Peterson flightline, allowing for maximum use of the 302nd AW's equipment and resources.

US HERK, did you get my e-mail on this subject?

I did, but I couldn't reply to it.

I am not in the unit. I'm not affiliated with the unit in any way, other than I was in it many years ago during its first incarnation as a Herk unit in the great composite wing experiment of the mid-90s.

• 4 weeks later...

I was the first crew chief in the 52nd I got here in July, the unit stood up on 3 oct. Sorry Casy at the moment we don't have any MSgt APG slots, we do have one MSgt coming in but he got his orders as a TSgt. We only have one SMSgt slot in the squadron and it's filled. Cubsfan I don't think there are any plans to have active duty fuel cell here sorry. If you can get here come here there is no better squadron, the location and supervision are great.

This is an Active-Reserve squadron, the 52d falls under the 19 OG/19 AW at Little Rock, just like the 30th at Cheyenne just Reserve instead of Guard. Utilizing the newest AF acronym- TFI. The active crews will fly the reserve aircraft. No Js there, that will come next year when another TFI unit stands up somewhere else.