New C-130J Model in Spotlight

fltsload

October 6, 2009—The keel for the Air Force’s first Special Mission Hercules aircraft was laid in ceremonies at Lockheed Martin’s facilities in Marietta, Ga., on Monday, marking the start of final assembly of this aircraft.

This new model of the C-130J Hercules is based on the KC-130J tanker that the company has supplied to the Marines Corps, but with added features like an electro-optic/infrared sensor, enhanced cargo-handling system, and higher capacity generators.

The company will build both an HC-130J search-and-rescue variant of this model for Air Combat Command and an MC-130J tanker version for Air Force Special Operations Command right on the standard C-130J production line.

Previously, standard C-130s had to be heavily modified for the HC/MC missions after assembly was finished. Now, new manufacturing methods permit most of the mods to be made during production, said Lockheed’s program manager Jack O’Banion. Doing it right on the assembly line can be done for $5 million each aircraft, as opposed to $13 million apiece the old way, he said. Deliveries can also be made eight months faster.

“These are lessons learned from the F-35,†for which Lockheed accommodates three variants on one assembly line, O’Banion told reporters at the plant.

The Air Force has said it wants 115 new HC/MC-130Js.

Of those, ACC needs 78 HC-130Js “and that’s to replace our fleet of 40-year-old HC-130s that we have out there now,†said Col. Mike Corbett, ACC’s chief of personnel recovery requirements.

AFSOC needs 37 MC-130Js to replace “our 45-year-old MC-130Es, of which we have 10, and 23 of the 40-year-old MC-130Ps,†said Col. Billy Montgomery of AFSOC. The additional aircraft would help cope with dramatically expanded taskings, he said.

So far, 22 of the new HC/MC-130J aircraft are funded.

Two HC-130Js will be delivered in 2010—including the one for which the keel was laid—with initial operating capability in 2012, and 10 MC-130s will be built in 2011. After that, it remains to be seen how and when the aging fleets is recapitalized.

“There’s a lot of competition for spaces on the C-130 line,†said Corbett.

Lockheed Martin release

Let's see! USAF, ANG, AFRC have a total of 33 HC-130N&P's and we need 78 to replace them?

Bob

For AFSOC the MC-130J is supposed to replace all of the MC-130's That includes Tallon 2's. I do not know what that total comes to but when you replace everything that could be quite a few. The Tallon 2 will be around for a lot longer but it is going to take some time to get enough j's to replace everything. Also you have to populate Cannon, we didn't take it over for no reason.

Edited by mc130pfe

The article said they wanted 37 MC-J's to replace 10 AFRC MC-130E's and 23 MC-130P's and the other 4 are for increased taskings.

They currently operate 10 MC-E's and 23 MC-P's. They left out the the 4 MC-130P's of the ANG. They may not count them since they are ACC Gained?

Bob

The ANG MC-130P are papa's mainly in designation. They carry the rescue mission. They still have the setup that the papa has but they have the same radar that the HC's have. I think there crew compliment is different also. I think they have some other candy too, but i am not sure without looking in the -1.

Also where are the 23 MC-130P's I do not count that many unles you do count the ANG ones.

Edited by mc130pfe

The MC-130P of CA ANG are ACC gained and ACC maintains configuration control on them. I believe when the worked up how many HCJ's they needed..they included those ANG MCP's in the mix. Maybe one of tthe ACC folks on here can confirm.

The MC-130H is not currently programmed to be replaced by MC-130J, although I wouldn't rule that out toward the end of the production cycle. AFSOC has a history of changing it's mind on a weekly (or daily) basis.

Also, the MC-130W, Combat Spear, production was set at 12..Although a number of them are being modified to the Dragon Spear configuration. Not sure what the final mix will be.

LOCKHEED MARTIN GETS $827.4M AIR FORCE CONTRACT: Lockheed Martin received a $827.4 million contract from the Air Force for three Air Force C-130J, four HC-130J and four MC-130J aircraft, the Defense Department said late Friday. (Associated Press, 10/16)

......and add $5 to 8 million for a "feasibility study" in order to prove that these J model's are "satisfactory" to the the AFSOC inventory. Wait until 2012 and you will see the big order placed. By that time the F-22 will be comming out of the Obama hatchet-sheath and the fight for the J will start all over again.

OMG......I forgot about AF Space Command. They will have to fight for their share of a budget cut as well. Merrrill McPeak will also need a new room addition to his Colorado vacation home........need I go on?

Kurt

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

join the club, we were told that "there is 300 days of the year for good flying" well so far 300 of those days have been so windy we can't shoot on the range because of fire hazard and the cross winds are too high to even do pro and we can't carry enough gas to go knock out a good dry fire either. smart move on the part of polotics