Haunted Herk

airnav

I heard this story in Tech school. Our Instructor told us it was a slick in Vietnam that spent it's days hauling bodies to Japan to go home. After the war it was converted into a Gunship. He said one night on mids he got stuck pulling the batteries for a wash. No power unit and the battery was sitting on the crew door when he looked up and saw every light on the plane blood red. That's when he learned the history behind it. At least that's what he told us, but it wouldn't surprise me for it to be true.

I remember at Charlotte we had 92-1455, and Dyess has 74-1666, both planes had "Personality" to say the least. More than a few four letter words were uttered in their presence.

Guys,

One of my buddies that where working on the C-141's told me a story too.

It came to Oklahoma ALC and it had a basket with kids toys and he asked Why is that here and one of the crew members told him about a kid that lives in that plane.

All toys where need in that basket and he locked to door and kept the key next morning all the toys where thru the entire airplane........

I don't know but it would scare the crap out of me.

Bonzo

PS look at the photo of the week 74-1666 makes me wonder guys.....

Edited by bonzo
for got something

USMC had BOO as she was called.... Same basic story during Vietnam carried fallen Service members out of country. She was on the line in El Toro and I guess it did not matter if she was HAUNTED but I sure didn’t like workn on her on night shift.... It was worse if I had early show and had to inventory (you avi guys know...) ALONE in a FREAKN HAUNTED AIRCRAFT!!! Lots of jokers out there willing to teach new guys a lesson!!

Never heard or saw anything but.... God bless all those lost soles!!

At CCK there was an acft 63-7773 that had more than its share of ominous stories and occurances. It went to Little Rock AFB and still had strange things happen on it. There were stories even written up in the base paper as well as the Little Rock newspapers about this acft and the hauntings that went on. It was transferred to the Guard and I remember the crew said it was rediculous to go through the "launch ceremony" to get it off the ground. After a week, they did the ceremony.

Got my own BOO story from Futenma, Zero dark thirty and nobody left on the line but me and another guy in the line shack when Gunny told us to secure every thing. BOO was parked way down by the Huey squadron with a power unit (gtc was pulled) secured BOO first and worked our way down the line securing the rest of the birds back to the hangar and pulled out in the tug to grab Boo's power unit. We could hear a gtc starting as we pulled out of the hangar and BOO is sitting down there with all her lights on. Stop the tug go back in and report this to the Gunny, he wants to know if it's moving?......well no Gunny....then don't worry about it 'cuz I'm not going out there kid!

I don't know if this counts as haunted. Back in 1969 at Cam Ranh Bay we were fragged open all day. The load and I went out to 56-501 and completed our pre-flights. We were sitting on the ramp speculating what we might be doing that day. All of a sudden there was this horrible odor. We looked at each other and we both said at the same time, that must be our load. Sure enough it was. We had one dead ARVN and his widow. Any way the flight lasted about an hour. We used up all the oxygen on the aircraft, opened all the overhead hatches and both swing windows. Everybody on the crew was sick. We let it air out for a couple of hours and then headed back to CRB. The powers to be were upset that we quit for the day but got over it. In 1972 I was at Richards-Gebaur when 56-501 was transfered to the Reserves. I went down to the reserve ramp to visit and went inside and the smell was still there. The crew chief couldn't smell it but I sure could.

Not a haunted Herk specifically but we've all heard about hardstand 27 (don't know it's number now) at Mildenhall. It was the starting point for the Langley crew chief in '69 that ended up crashing (shot down, etc) in the Channel off the French coast. After that there were strange occurances with any a/c parked there. My personal one was on grave shift one night. I and a Doppler troop were working on the a/c when the MD-3 crapped out and everything shut down. We came down off the flight deck and were heading toward the power unit when it restarted and everything on the a/c powered back up without either of us returning to the flight deck to switch things back on. We were the only ones at the aircraft (no crew chief). Other folks I knew had different things happen. Last I heard they didn't park planes there anymore, just AGE.

Thank you Pgernon, I stand corrected, the acft was 63-7771. After going back and checking some records, I crewed that acft at two different times too. Old age setting in, I guess. I was there when it transferred out and remember day after day of trying to launch it until the "ceremony" was completed and it flew just fine. Very strange bird and hard to get people out on it to work alone. Basicly avery good acft though, and loved crewing it. Funny story, I was expediting and one of my troops had a halloween mask that the eyes would light up red and flash. He got out at 7771, went up in the flt deck and got in the upper bunk. I went over and picked up another troop and told him to get me the forms off the nav table on 7771. After much protesting he took his six cell mag light and went up to get the forms. The first troops leaned out on the upper bunk and yelled with the eyes flashing. He was rewarded with a six cell mag light to the forhead, and the other troop came running to the truck telling me I could put the forms back. haha

Not a haunted Herk specifically but we've all heard about hardstand 27 (don't know it's number now) at Mildenhall. It was the starting point for the Langley crew chief in '69 that ended up crashing (shot down, etc) in the Channel off the French coast. After that there were strange occurances with any a/c parked there. My personal one was on grave shift one night. I and a Doppler troop were working on the a/c when the MD-3 crapped out and everything shut down. We came down off the flight deck and were heading toward the power unit when it restarted and everything on the a/c powered back up without either of us returning to the flight deck to switch things back on. We were the only ones at the aircraft (no crew chief). Other folks I knew had different things happen. Last I heard they didn't park planes there anymore, just AGE.

I think that was HS 21, if I remember right both the Dyess planes that crashed in Turkey also launched from that HS as well:eek:

• 1 month later...

I was at Little Rock when 7771 was there. I was scheduled five times on this aircraft, taxied it once, but never was on it when it was off the ground. The time it taxied the FE told me that we would never get off the ground. :-P Several times (O dark thirty and all alone) I heard someone on top of the bird and went outside to look, no one there.

While in the Illinois Air National Guard another Guard until hauled us somewhere. The Load was an Aerial Port Loadmaster at Little Rock when I was there. 7771 was in their unit, he told me that all the bugs were worked out of it and it was a good flying aircraft.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, been off here for a while, but this is one story that is as true as my heart beat. When the 36th was TDY to CCK in '72, for some unknown reason, I was assigned to fly a local with one of the othersquadrons there, don't remember which, or why. Anyway, if my memory is right, the plane had DB on the tail, and 7771.........I am goin about my preflight, and i check the lights in the cargo compartment, thye are normal. We start up taxi out and somewhere asround run-up, the hog trough lights turn freakin' GREEN, I mean christmas tree green, and then go normal. I amdea mentionof this to the flight deck, they just laughed. rest of the crash and go flight was normal. back home, maybe six months later, i hear this bird is supposed to be haunted.and had went to Little Rock. HMMMMMMMMM!!! Jump ahead about 23 years, a family stops at my house, asked if we were who they were lookin' for, I said yeah i guess, they show us this little baby, and say"If it hadn't been for your daughter this little girl would have died at birth." My daughter was workin' as a labor and delivery nurse at the time at Ruby hospital, in Morgantown, WV, and had done somethin' that couldn't wait and apparently it saved the baby. Anyway, I talk tot he father, who has just separated out of the reuglar AF, to go to reserves i think it was, and he told me worked on environmental control systems on C-130's, at Little Rock. I asked him if he had worked on any haunted ones, he gets this really funny look on his face, and told me yes, he had experiences with two different aircraft there,and one was an old E model. Coincidence? was it the same bird? Who knows..........

Guess I was just lucky - was at Dyess/40 AS from 93 - 01, flew #1666 quite a few times, can't recall any problems/events. At one point they had a way cool "lil devil" painted on the nose - for some reason (depot?) it was painted over. Later another nose art was painted on but to me it looked like a squashed tomato......

Fleagle

heres a story:i was working grave shift at yokota ab 1992 on acft 63-7803,yokota's "haunted bird",at about midnight,the acft parked by its lonesome out on hardstand 3,no other planes for a couple of spots,but one h model across on alpha row.I had to do a pre dep insp (anyone remember those?) so i got the power unit running,went inside to turn power on. Both troop doors were closed as were the ramp and door.There were no seats set up,just the rollers on the floor with two red PAX kit boxes strapped down in the middle with one roll of masking tape sitting on the boxes.Couldnt find the pre dep cklist, so i shut down power and walked across to the alpha row to borrow a ck list from another acft.Had a smoke with the CC on that bird out back of the acft,noticing that no one went on or pulled up to the plane i was working,then went back to do the insp.When I turned power back on and went into the cc, that roll of tape was on the floor next to 245,and the top box was open! It wasnt very much, but it scared the bejesus out of me!! needless to say,I did the fastest pre dep insp in history!!

I was in Italy in 2002 with A/C 88 1302 getting ready to come back to the states doing a pre flight when the RCR started going crazy, and all the bus lights looked like a pin ball machine. I turned the batt. off, un tied the bus, and turned off the ext. power... All the bus lights stayed on, along with all the lights in cargo compartment so to keep the batts. from going down I disconnected the AC batt. All bus lights was still on, I went down and disconnected the INS batt. All bus lights still on... and this is with ex. power cord disconnected and both batteries disconnected all bus lights and cargo still on.. The only thing me and the FE could come up with is that this A/C carried many of the bodies of the dead during the Gulf war... So where ever this A/C is C/Cs beware.... By the way replaced the RCR same problem... after a day delay it cleared it self up...