UARRSI and nose probes on C-130

frenchnavy

The ABCCC birds came in two configurations.

The original configuration had the old wings, no UARRSI and -7 motors, when they went in for the UARRSI mod, they also changed to the new wings and -15 motors.

Nothing like having to haul two 1-1's around and having to carry both sets of limitations around in your head, depending on which tail you were flying that day.

It was like night and day between the two mods on a hot Biloxi summer day, -7 birds you would have to get all the way into the keyhole to be able to get off the ground and clear the houses, if I remember the runway at Keesler was 6700 feet long. With a -15 plane it was really no problem to get off where it was always a struggle with the -7's.

When I left the 7th ACCS in 89 I think four of the seven tails were modified.

Dan

Nothing like having to haul two 1-1's around and having to carry both sets of limitations around in your head, depending on which tail you were flying that day.

It was like night and day between the two mods on a hot Biloxi summer day, -7 birds you would have to get all the way into the keyhole to be able to get off the ground and clear the houses, if I remember the runway at Keesler was 6700 feet long. With a -15 plane it was really no problem to get off where it was always a struggle with the -7's.

Dan

Dan, when I was the Rock that's what we had to do with the E's and the 73 H's. The only things we really had to watch out for was the IPs and students moving the throttles too fast on T & Gs with the H models in the winter. Easy to over torque them.

Dan, when I was the Rock that's what we had to do with the E's and the 73 H's. The only things we really had to watch out for was the IPs and students moving the throttles too fast on T & Gs with the H models in the winter. Easy to over torque them.

Not to mention when the Wing King enjoyed doing his monthly flagpole trip doing a one-engine-out go-around. Slamming them to the wall in a 90-something model H3 tends to keep engine troops busy. I think he did that three months in a row one time.

325X1

When I got to the 16th SOS I was told (by your old friend G Eller) thats why we call torque on touch and goes and go arounds instead of TIT.

What do other units call with -15s, torque or TIT?

We did call TIT at 900, but when you've got some John Wayne IP or student there are times when they pushed the throttles forward way too fast and then you could call 900 but that was only as the TIT went through 900 on the way up. I once went out on a "hot turn". That was where the FE met the bird as it taxied into parking and "debriefed" the 1st FE so that a pre-flight was not required for the afternoon flight. The FE wrote up the engines for over-torque to 23,000. Maintenance made it a Red /. I upgraded to a Red X, crossed out the original name and put mine in. Sure pissed off maintenance, and said I couldn't do that. They finally got the line chief and E-7 engine shop guy out there trying to brow-beat me. I pointed them to the maintenance reg that addressed upgrading write-ups. Don't remember now what it was, 66 something I think. Guess they didn't deal much with FEs who were ex-crew chiefs, albeit it was on recipts. Anyway, they explained the TO requirements for over-torques, down-graded it back to a red /, and we flew our training mission. That's really all I wanted was an explanation of the inspection requirements. Seems it was like the bird could fly for 50 hours before an inspection was required.

Back in 1974 when Dyess first got the H-models, the FE's would usually call out the torque, "15, 18, pull 'em back."

I've never understood why the US military FE's are not allowed to set power on takeoff & cruise. It certainly allows the pilots to concentrate more on the flying of the airplane.

Don R.

-India C-130J- Probably will have a probe

Have to look.

There was a guy the other day doing a walk around with someone and she asked him about UARRSI on the HC/MC's. He pointed out were it was to her, and said something about the Indian Herc. Can't remember what he said about it though, I was just walking by. The First Indian "J" is in bodymate so if I remember, I walk down and take a look tonight. I would think they would have something. They supposedly have been bought for Spec Ops, not the standard trash hauling mission.

Have to look.

There was a guy the other day doing a walk around with someone and she asked him about UARRSI on the HC/MC's. He pointed out were it was to her, and said something about the Indian Herc. Can't remember what he said about it though, I was just walking by. The First Indian "J" is in bodymate so if I remember, I walk down and take a look tonight. I would think they would have something. They supposedly have been bought for Spec Ops, not the standard trash hauling mission.

Indian C-130J will have the probe or ARPUS as its called. As seen on UK and Italian J's.