Combat Infantry Badge

cfisher

I am having a dispute with the Army. There is a Organization here in ADA OK. called the Combat Infantry Badage Association I am sure they are good people. They are like Amvets and the American Legion they help other vets in need and help vets with disability forms . They are in many states. The problem I am having with them they put in the local news paper that the Combat Infantry Badge is the second highest medal are badge you can receive and the only thing that out ranks it is the Medal OF HONOR. I got in a dispute with a Retired Army full Col. I told him he was wrong. He got so mad he was ready to fight. I couldn't belive a full Col would think the CIB was the second highest a military person could receive. One of their reasons for beleaving this is that badge is worn above all other medals except the Medal of Honer. I told him that I wore my wings above my medals but they didn't carry any rank. I even looked up army reg about the CIB and there's nothing in it to back up their claim. Does any body have any info that will prove my point.

Both y'all are confusing apples and oranges.

The CIB is a badge, not a medal and it is a pretty big badge to have at that. I dont know if there are any in the Army that are more important or not but it really is the dividing line between pencil pushers and real soldiers.

The Medal of Honor is a Medal.

Apples = badges and Oranges = medals!

You would think some pinhead O6 would know the difference though.

Dan

Edited by Dan Wilson

Both y'all are confusing apples and oranges.

The CIB is a badge, not a medal and it is a pretty big badge to have at that. I dont know if there are any in the Army that are more important or not but it really is the dividing line between pencil pushers and real soldiers.

The Medal of Honor is a Medal.

Apples = badges and Oranges = medals!

You would think some pinhead O6 would know the difference though.

Dan

Yep! Badges are badge's.......period! In layman's terms they are to represent qualification. I don't agree with the criteria; however that is another subject. A medal is a medal, that not only accompanies a citation, but a set of orders. A medal also benefit's the recipient to promotional point's. I guess I could go on and on. You can't buy a full size medal at clothing sales, but "badges" are in abundance!

Kurt

The Combat INF badge (CIB) is not the 2nd highest award so to speak, its only given to you if you were in a combat MOS while being in a combat area over 30 days

They came out with the Combat badge for the non combat MOS personnel to show they also spent time in a combat zone just a few years back, it has the bayonet on it

but yes awards are awards and badges are badges, the EIB Expert Inf Badge is a set of task you have to done to earn it, some people have a CIB and still have to go for the EIB

by the way my back ground is Airborne Infantry :)

Maybe it was/is just a misunderstanding... Originally the CIB was to be the highest "Badge" and NO others were to be developed that would "reduce the prestige" of the CIB....

Contact J.L. Rhodes at 332-8811 or Jack Jones at 310-6173 (One of these may be the Col you have the issue with) and ask for supporting documentation or ....

If the Col still believes the "Combat Infantry Badge is the second highest medal are badge you can receive and the only thing that out ranks it is the Medal OF HONOR." you should contact the Combat Infantrymen’s Assn at the address below and see if they can ensure the correct understanding of the CIB is disseminated.

Combat Infantrymen’s Assn,

National Headquarters

Asheville, NC 28801-2466

National Commander

Jack R. Wagner

PO Box 150702

Cape Coral, FL 33915-0702

Phone: 239-826-6062

[email protected]

National Executive Officer

Wayne Watts

1033 4th Ave SW

Alabaster, AL 35007

Phone: 205-663-3161

[email protected]

This is the USAF version of the CIB. Apple and oranges however! This is a medal! The Combat Action Medal. The USAF will never create or issue a "badge" like the Army has. Read the "Wear criteria" paragraph near the end of the below link. We stand a higher chance of getting the original Flight Engineer wings back before the AF gives a badge for combat.

http://www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=11444

Mark

Didn't the AF have a Combat Crew Member Badge back in the 60's and 70's but it was only issued to SAC missle crewmembers?

My current Chief told me once he wore it for a short time in the early 90's before they got rid of it. He's an FE like me.

As I read the history of the Combat Crew badge, it was worn while eligible members were waiting to get their Combat Readiness Medal. That just sounds strange. Kind of like a learner's permit!

Anyway, here is a link to a paper wrote back in 2006 before the USAF Combat Action Medal came out. It explains the Combat Readiness Medal. As a C-130 crewmember we get ours two years after we get our mission ready status. As far as I know, most aircrew members get it. This is a pretty good read and covers all of the services.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/cepme/heritage/Documents/pdf/HISTORY%20OF%20COMBAT%20SERVICE%20INSIGNIAS.pdf

CombatCrewBadge.jpg

Mark

Edited by F106A
Added pic of CC Badge

• 3 weeks later...

I got in contact with the National Deputy Commander of the Combat Infantry Badge Asso. He didn't know the precedence of the CIB. HE did say he knew for a fact that 80% of the combat casualitees came from the results of earning the CIB.That's how we got the name the Queen of Battle. Artillery is suppose to be the King of Battle . Iguess because they kill more people than we do,( friend are foe ). That was all the Info I could get . I E mailed other officals in the national Assoc but could not get any answers.I guess i will conceder the case closed . I think each chapter makes up there on rules.

I've been out of the Army for to long. (Okay, that may be a good thing.) I believe what is confusing about the precedence is what GROUP of badges the CIB falls under. It is in Group 1. That means, the CIB is worn above all other badges -- badges, not medals! For a quick explanation, see this page...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badges_of_the_United_States_Army

HTH,

Mark