Questions

stoney

In 1997 we went from Walvis Bay in Namibia to Rio de Janeiro, we were filled up to the brim, Gauge total was about 62000lbs. Our flight time was 14.20, landed in Rio with all x feeds open and unable to start the APU. If the tower did not let us straight in we would have declared an emergency. We were a LITTLE overweight when we took off in Walvis Bay which prevent us from reaching optimum heights for fuel efficiency. At one stage our ground speed were 180 knots, we thought we would not make it. The next year we went from Walvis Bay to Salvador, a bit to the north, out off the windy south, 12.10 flight time and about 9000Lbs left in the tanks. A bit of a dog leg to our destination but much better on the nerves.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a few questions. The internal Benson tanks held approx 11,000 pounds? (WC-130H) How many gallons? Also why "Benson", was that the builder? Next, station 245 was measured from where? I seem to remember that it was somewhere in front of the nose. What station were the paratroop doors at? Last, any idea how much hyd fluid was in the utility system at any one time. In motion, not in the resevoir.

Thanks

Stoney

Good evening;

Everything on the C-130 is measured from the Reference Datum Line (RDL)

On the stubby aircraft the RDL is 30" forward of the nose and on the -30,

it is 130".

As for the para doors, it was mentioned by another poster that the ramp hinge is FS 737 on the stubby. For the -30 the hinge is at LS 1017.

So the end of the door on a stubby is approx FS 737, on the -30 it is LS 937.

The quick conversion between the stub and stretch is as follows.

Between FS 30 and FS 245, add 100" to convert to LS.

Between FS 245 and FS 737, add 200" to convert to LS.

Between FS 737 and FS 1202, add 280" to convert to LS.

Hope I wasn't too confusing there!

Have a good one.

Dale

• 3 years later...

After receiving all the replies and Bob helping me determine the serial number 62-1825 I did a search and found a reply from Ray Roddy to a thread in 2009 with an excerpt from his book Circles In The Sky. It turned out to be the first in SEA and some of the special activities I remembered were correct. I'm glad Ken and I still have some memory left.

I posted a picture in the gallery of a hit we took in Nov. 65 during a mission.

Thanks for all your help.

Jim

Long missions were never that much fun unless you wanted to build flying time.

Longish missions:

In 5 years at LRF flew many 10 hr overwater missions. At least one every class to have the FE do a 796. Boring.

Flew from EDF to Depot to drop bird off for PDM. Had to arrive at depot during day for drop off. Thinking it was 11 hrs or so.

EDF to Travis, ron, to Hickam, ron, back to EDF. Weekend trainer.

Kelly AFB to Tapachula, Mexico. Max fuel and full fuel bladders. Off-load fuel from bladders, then back to LRF after pumping remaining fuel from bladders into wings. I think that this was the 1st mission that the LM and me carried our "concealed weapons."

• 1 month later...

Worst mission I was ever on fuel wise was in Afghanistan, we took off out of Pakistan with full fuel and hit a formation of MH-47's. I think there was six birds in the formation and they sucked our plane waaaaaay down and then they wanted more fuel; we were at minimums for fuel to return to Pakistan. The pilot said to give it to them anyways as we had a tanker scheduled for us following this offload, asked the pilot three or four times if he was sure (as I never trusted the 135 guys to hang out to actually give us our gas especially "in country") and he told me to give the helo's their damn fuel so I did.

Well what do you know, we get the 135 on radar and making our rendezvous --- and they pulled up the boom and went home!!!!!!

I tell you it was a hell of a pucker flight all the way back to Pakistan and landed with all crossfeeds opened and all pumps on and every fuel indicator on that plane was bottomed out when we taxied in and shut down.

MX comes up on the flight deck and looks at the fuel indicators, looks at me, flips the inverter to inverter from AC and no change, looks at me again and all I could say is "dont ask"

i got a questions does any one know when a 130 is a max power how far back a t-38 plane has to be behind it to have no damage taken i am having trouble finding it in a afi or t.o. and my super need it? any thing help but a t.o. reference helps the best

thanks

MFE