Questions

stoney

Just a few questions. The internal Benson tanks held approx 11,000 pounds? (WC-130H) How many gallons? Also why "Benson", was that the builder? Next, station 245 was measured from where? I seem to remember that it was somewhere in front of the nose. What station were the paratroop doors at? Last, any idea how much hyd fluid was in the utility system at any one time. In motion, not in the resevoir.

Thanks

Stoney

Benson tanks I have no idea, never worked them. As for the flight stations, they start just forward of the nose. The tip of the nose is FS 30, all the way to 1202 ish, of course it all changes according to model and mods. The aft end of the troop doors are at 737 where the ramp begins. As for stretched aircraft, I havn't a clue.

According to the E(H)-1, the Fuselage tanks hold 1,800 gallons. All but 25 pounds can be used when feeding the engines.

Problem with that number is that is a volume, but the tank integrity is based on weight. So for 11000lbs of JP-8 you can only put 1618 gallons in, otherwise you will over stress the tank. 1800 gallons of JP-8 would put 12240 lbs in the tank.

Dan

Worst argument I ever had with a deployment commander was back in 82 getting ready to come home when he ordered the crew chief's to "float the caps". Moldyhole had Jp8 . he couldn't understand the difference between Jp4. Man he was pissed when i told Him I wasn't going to get myself killed for his ignorance. That was around the time we were fighting the wing cracks also.

RZ Hill

My pubs and cheat sheats are sitting behind my desk right now, and I'm at home, but for all the long range trips I've done a fuel log for the average cruise fuel rate has been between 1,250 to 1,350 pph per engine. That's for -15s. So, call it it 1,300 x 4 = 5,200. For general planning, we just use 5k per hour.

I've never done a good study, but I do save copies of all of my fuel logs. Gonna have to crunch some numbers if I can find the time between writing or reviewing EPRs!

Mark

Thanks guys, that's close enough for my information. I was just curious. I've been on some long flights, but nothing that came close to using up a full fuel load. 8-9 hours was plenty.

Tiny try HRT to Jordan non-stop -- 3 AR's with a low level at the end with an airdrop over the field (not to be named) to protect the inocent LOL 26+ hrs.

In late 64 we left Edwards in an "A" model headed for Hickham.

We had all the tanks as full as we could get them. 32,000 lbs. was

my understanding of what the A could hold and it used 4,000 lbs. per. hour.

We got past the point of no return and ran into 50 knot headwinds.

The lower the fuel gauges got the more fingers were tapping on the gauges.

All the low fuel lights were on and I think one engine flamed out on landing.

I don't know if the pilot shut down an engine on the other wing or it flamed out also.

This was when we took our planes from Sewart to Clark.

Hey Tiny, interesting question. Just for your info some trivia. Our ABtripleC EC-130E's typical flying time was in excess of 12 hours per mission. We launched our plane at 0530 and it would land at 1820 or thereabouts.

While on the subject of ABtripleC's. Does anybody hace the tail #'s of the 3 planes in Da Nang in July of 1967. I am confused about which plane I was on that was damaged in the attack on July 15. Our plane was flying the Cricket mission. The backup which I have come to believe was 62-1815 was totally destroyed along with an A model 55-0004. I think I have the answer but I would like confirmation. I would also like the number the night mission which I believe was the Hillsboro mission.

If anybody has that info I would appreciate it. Take care.

Wil

Wil, I flew ABCCC out of Udorn in 67-68 I remember some missions were longer that that if your replacement was late getting airborne. I don't have my form 5's anymore but I think some were 14 hours plus. More than once I landed with zero fuel in the inboards, on crossfeed, with my fingers crossed. Couldn't have been good for wing limiting, but that was nothing compared to the weighs at takeoff. bob woods

Will,

Below is some information from my book - "Circles in the Sky". 62-1815 was never fitted for a capsule - no capsules were ever lost.

Ray

In July of 1965, the commander of the Second Air Division (2AD) requested a C-130 airborne command post. In August of 1965, USAF submitted a Southeast Asia Operational Requirement (SEAOR), requesting three ABCCC aircraft. On 8 September 1965, one ABCCC aircraft deployed to the Republic of Viet Nam (RVN). The first C-130 ABCCC-I aircraft (S/N 62-1825) went to SEA minus the PARD system, which was a data communication link. The aircraft was assigned to 2AD for evaluation. The evaluation included the functions as a DASC, a fire-support coordination center and emergency air strike director. Additional tests included those of mission commander and Search and Rescue (SAR). One mission flew above the 17th Parallel. This marked the first time that an adequately equipped aircraft would serve as an airborne command center in SEA. In the closing months of 1965, the ABCCC flew 50 + sorties.

LTV modified two more C-130Es for delivery during the second half of fiscal year 1966. The first “production†ABCCC-II aircraft delivered in July and August of 1966. The system no. 1 aircraft was 62-1820 and system no. 2 was 62-1832. In May of 1966, there was a requirement for four more ABCCC systems. In June, LTV received the contract for four additional systems. System no. 3 aircraft 62-1791 delivered on 5 January 1967. System no. 4 aircraft 62-1809 delivered on 15 February 1967. After the first two ABCCC-II systems became operational, a request was made for some modifications in the additional systems to follow. Some of these changes included a redesign of the display boards, installation of a galley cooling fan, and replacement of the DAS-10 system in the communications maintenance station to provide airborne alignment of teletype. There were about 25 additional improvements requested to improve operational reliability and maintainability. In January of 1967, LTV received a contract to recycle systems 1 and 2 and install the improvements when the aircraft returned to the U.S. for IRAN (Inspect Repair As Necessary – depot level maintenance). LTV Electrosystems received a contract on 31 March 1967 to construct a new van and to modify aircraft 62-1825 to bring it up to ABCCC-II standards. System no. 5 aircraft 62-1836 delivered on 21 April 1967 and system no. 6 aircraft 62-1857 delivered on 6 June 1967.

Is there still a requirement for the FE to fill out a DD Form 796 on overwater nav's & other long range cruise trips?

Don R.

I want to say by the time I stopped flying in 02 the requirement had been dropped, but I do know I still did them anytime I was over the big water in the interest of self preservation.

Dan

Dan, you're correct. Long gone is the time they were required to be completed. As you noted though, I still complete...had a nav one time want me to use the -1-1 prior to take off to give him a good fuel load for an 11 hour over water flight. I asked him what the nav fuel charts told him...his comment, what are you talking about. Told me he had never been shown the Big Brown Book of charts in the nav drawer.

You can say I kept an EXCELLENT log that flight.

Dan

Wow great info. As memory serves ms 62-1815 was the backup plane. It was located nest to the A model # 55-0004 on the ramp and was completely destroyed based on the pictures I have seen. I am now fairly convinced that I was assigned to 62-1809 which had the left wing burned to engine #1. It appears that it was repaired and went back to work and was the plane lost in Iran during the hostage rescue attempt(I think it was operation Eagle Claw). If anyone can verify that 62-1809 was the Cricket plane in July 1967 I would finally have all the facts. I would also like to know the tail # on the Hillsboro mission.

Take care and stay safe.

Wil

Ray I should have thanked you for the great info. I must have seen Dan's post after yours and his name stuck. Any way thanks Ray with info like yours things are starting to come together.

Bob, sure sounds like you were sucking the tanks dry on several of your missions. I think I remember 1 day when we went to the fight line to recover our plane. Got there about 17:15 and the plane didn't show until almost 19:00. Long day for the Crew. Kinda put us behind on getting it ready for the next days mission.

You guys take care and be safe.

Wil

The only time I can remember running low on fuel was during an actual recovery out of Hickam. I was on the weather recon bird down range. Just happened to be a B model. They changed the drop area 3 times while we were out there and we had to go to each position so the weather guy onboard could visually check it out. When we finally got back to Hickam I had all the x-feeds open and pumps on and still hand scav flow and fuel pressure lights flashing at me on final.