Arrrgggg

Dan Wilson

Well the law of primacy is really biting my butt.

The first thing I had ever towed were your basic 707-300 awacs type airplane.

Waaaal now mamma done and made me buy her a big trailer last year and its killing me to back the thing, I keep turning the wrong way - one too few pivot points keeps screwing me up!!!

Some day maybe I will get it figured out - but probably not:mad: (just thought I would throw that out on a boring night)

100_4832.jpg

But at least I got to buy a truck to pull it with:D

Dan

100_3722.jpg

I had the opposite problem learning to tow planes. I was finally real pissed one day when we had to tow; I backed it down the line like I was in a training video and never had another problem backing. Makes you regret taking that anger management class, doesn't it? :D

I have been canmping for many years. I have towed air planes also When i got my 5th wheel camping trailer I thought backing it would be a piece of cake boy was I surprised.I had to back between two trees on my blind side the first time i had to back it. I thought i would never get it on the camping spot. I even had problems backing it straight back. My brother in law always went with me and he could back any thing so when we got to the camp ground i would and get out of my truck and he would put it on the spot like a pro. There came a time he couldn't go so i new i had to learn. It took me awile to learn What worked best for me Iwould pull my trailer about thirty feet past the camping spot check what was behind me. I had my wife stand by the passanger side an start backing very slow and told here all i wanted to here from her was what way did the back of the trailer need to go and STOP.Backing very slow and making smal corrections seem to be the key. I went camping a few weeks ago and had to back in on my blind side put the trailer in on the first try and never had ti pull foward to straten up. I hope this might help you.

Welcome to the world of camping Dan I find if you hold the bottom of the steering wheel and just turn it the way you want the back of the trailer to go it works well BTW nice truck!,and is that a toy hauler or just a place to keep the guns while camping? Maybe I'll see ya at Blackwater State park

Well Gary, the real secret to successful retired life is to get yerself good and crippult before you retire:D

Aint going to say what I actually make between my AF retired pay, 100% VA disability and Social Security disability but it makes the pain a bit easier to live with:rolleyes: (of course it took four years of legal battles to get to that point though).

Dan

Dan/Tiny,

While between jobs in aviation, I drove a refrigerated semi from Miami to Chicago hauling flowers & hanging beef back to Miami. I'll tell ya, it's a lot easier backing up a 53' trailer than it is a camper. Of course, I didn't have to back my trailer into some little camp ground spot, either.

Good luck & have fun!

Don R.

Backing a 53' trailer is easer than a 5th wheel or smaller trailer. I also drove cross country while I was between jobs. One secret is to place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and move your hand in the direction that you want the trailer to go. Another is to make small movements of the wheel. I will be retiring in about 2 years and plan to travel too.

Dan,

I will come an back your camper in if you will let me play with one of the rifles on a tri-pod--haven't done that since way before I retired--my sons a cop and instructor and he can't even get me on the range

Smitty

If you show up I will guarantee you some play time:D

My pleasure.

Dan