No More JATO For Fat Albert :(

Several years ago we (130th AG) were in the same wing with the NY ANG C-130D unit at Schenectady,NY. Their commander came to our unit and gave us a briefing about their mission. He told us the JATO bottles being used were ones left from production in the 60's and they were having to mix and match them for the ice cap missions then and that was over 20 years ago. There was no plan for producing more.

Several years ago we (130th AG) were in the same wing with the NY ANG C-130D unit at Schenectady,NY. Their commander came to our unit and gave us a briefing about their mission. He told us the JATO bottles being used were ones left from production in the 60's and they were having to mix and match them for the ice cap missions then and that was over 20 years ago. There was no plan for producing more.

C-130"D"!!!!! They haven't flown "D's" in many, many years. Make that MANY years! lol

They also can't drop the bottles either from inside the plane.

Procedurally they do not light the bottles unless they can get the nose ski off the ground/ice. I flew with them too but only as an observer/examiner. Although I was qualified on the LCs I was not mission qualified.