Last C-130E Hercules aircraft leave Ramstein

fltsload

11/3/2009 - RAMSTEIN AIR BASE, Germany (AFNS) -- READY FOR REVIEW

After more than 30 years of flying for the Air Force, the last C-130E Hercules aircraft here set forth Nov. 2 destined for a new life.

Tail number 72-1299 c/n [cn]4527[/cn], which has been at Ramstein since 2007, departed for Poland, under a Foreign Military Sales lease agreement between Air Force Materiel Command and Poland in support of our partnership and teamwork with United States allies.

"We are saying goodbye as it moves forward into a new era of air power," said Master Sgt. Patrick Perry, 86th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron section chief, during a ceremony held on the flightline to commemorate the momentous event.

As part of this partnership, members of the Polish Air Force learned maintenance techniques on the aircraft while 86th Maintenance Group personnel performed a scheduled home station check during the week leading up to the aircraft's departure.

This aircraft is in addition to the five C-130Es Poland is authorized to receive from the United States in an effort to help build up Poland's airlift capability sooner and allow them to support their forces in Afghanistan.

The departure of the aircraft is also part of the transition to the new, more capable and cost effective J-model C-130 aircraft, of which Ramstein will have 14. Part of the upgrade includes a new system onboard the aircraft.

"The J-model is all computerized and automated," said Master Sgt. Jay Mitchell, 37th Airlift Squadron flight engineer. "So, they've done away with the flight engineer and navigator positions."

But, this is no loss for navigators and flight engineers as it opens up other opportunities. For example, Sergeant Mitchell will be heading to Hurlburt Field, Fla., to fly on the AC-130 Gunships.

As the aircraft taxied down the runway, Team Ramstein members saluted one last time as two fire trucks sprayed an archway of water for 1299 to pass through.

"It's a day in history we will never forget," Sergeant Mitchell said. "This is an awesome aircraft. The C-130 has always been the workhorse of the Air Force and will continue that way with the J-model, but to see the last C-130E leaving here ... we're sad to see it go."

Aircraft 1299 is the second C-130E to go to the Polish Air Force, as the first was delivered in March under a separate program and has flown more than 100 sorties since then.

I flew on 72-1299 over in the desert last summer! I'd have to dig out my old logs, but I'm pretty sure that was the last E-model I've flown on as an FE. In fact, this photo was taken while our crew was at an undisclosed location supporting "Senator" Obama during his visit to "the desert." We didn't carry him, just some Secret Service guys (that our female nav instantly fell in love with!!), but it was a fun mission. This was in July 2008.

This is me waiting for Obama's flight to arrive. My loadmaster took this photo, and that's the rest of my crew sitting on the ramp. Yes, I'm hiding a cigarette in my right hand!

Mark

005-1.jpg

Bummer, the end of an era for sure.

Dan

Like Dan said -- the end of an era.

I'm glad I spent 6 years of my Air Force career with the "legacy" 37th at Rhein Main. The best assignment I had. Well, the 2 years in the PI were pretty fun, too.

Don R.

• 3 months later...

After what happened in A'stan, will 1299 be scrapped?

Oberon

I would bet it gets the scrapyard, depending on how fast she went (and by all appearances it went very very very fast), I would almost be there is wing and vertical/horizontal stab issues that would at minimum require some intensive and very invasive inspections.

But in the end it will probably be what the state department wants to support.

Dan

From Stars&Stripes, November 2009, article about the last C-130E from Rammstein:

"Fifteen maintainers with the 86th AMU spent four days last week inspecting the aircraft and fixing 105 “gigs,†or minor maintenance problems. The home-check station inspection, typically done every 220 flying hours, wasn’t due until December, but the unit did it early for the transfer, said Master Sgt. Darren Veneman, 86th AMU production superintendent.

“They should be able to fly this airplane until … it’s ready to be retired next summer,†Veneman said of the Polish air force."

I understand that by next summer he meant summer of 2011?

Anyway, the bird didn't have to much time left. I think, that even if it would be possible to bring it back to life, it would be pointless for such short period.

Oberon

Man, I crewed her at Yokota, 2004 and 2005. 2nd wipe. Two flyin Hawaiians were takin care of her. Even made a console cover with a Hawaiian shirt pattern. She was an electrical nightmare, but she flew good. Miss those days.

• 9 months later...
  • 10 years later...

When aircraft 72-1299 first arrived at Yokota AB I was assigned as the first Crew Chief 1976 to 1978. It was like getting a new car to maintain. After working all the 62 and 63 model herks at CCK AB, Taiwan, Tan Son Nhut AB, Vietnam and Kadena AB, Okinawa, I moved to Yokota with the old herks, after a year at Yokota In comes 1299 She was mine to Crew for the rest of my tour there. Only four years old not many cosmetic issues. Was a great aircraft took me to many destinations in the pacific. I once maintained aircraft 62-1841 sadly to read here it crashed into the ocean in Guam.