Emergency Hatches

Nc97

We always refered to them as the fwd, center and aft escape hatches. Based on the numbering system used on the C-5 and the info you have provided, I would think that the #2 hatch would be the side hatch forward of the right wheel well. That would number the hatches from forward to aft.

See c-130J-1, Fig 3-2, Page 3-241; it identifies Aft #1, Center #2, RH Emer Exit #3 and Fwd #1. I tried to attach the Pic but couldn't figure it out.

I think that the numbering of the hatches was nothing more than convenience on that figure. Have a look at fig 3-8, all the hatches are identified as we all refer to them. Center overhead, rear overhead etc.

Any egress briefing that we take part in, we don't refer to the overhead hatches for egress as 1,2 or 3. For instance in the ditching checklist, fig 3-9 it makes mention for the pilot/co to exit through forward overhead hatch and the LM to exit through the rear overhead escape hatch.

Thats kind of the way I see it, although I am just one opinion!

It just seems a little weird for the escape hatches to be numbered in order from back to front.

The standard for numbering on the airplane is from left to right, and from front to rear. Why some dweeb would number the hatches differently is beyond my level of comprehension....

DUH

I bet that if the whole page was printed, there is a list that goes along with that drawing that says, 1= Rear overhead escape hatch 2= Center overhead escape hatch 3=Cargo compartment escape hatch 4= Flight deck overhead escape hatch, this looks like a page out of the IPB

Bob:

You are absolutely correct, however, the ditching fig that I had mentioned refers to them not as #'s but in the traditional format that we are all accustomed to.

As does the Ditching checklist.

Bob:

You are absolutely correct, however, the ditching fig that I had mentioned refers to them not as #'s but in the traditional format that we are all accustomed to.

As does the Ditching checklist.

If this image is from the ditching section, could the numbers refer to the order of preference for exiting the aircraft?

Mike

I went through some books last night at work, from what I can see, all the -1's list them as numbers. The 00GE and other Maintenance manuals list them as Fwd, Cntr, Aft. Seems they tell flight crews one thing and maintainers another....but wait, the Air Force would never do that.

Don't take that bet with BobWoods. He's right.

Thanks, over the years alot of crazy names for things have came about because of silly mistakes or omissions. Like calling the TD Amp inside the engine the "No Step Box"

The weight reduction hardware used on the E models, we called 'em "LBJ nuts" and the white stuff was called "pigeon shit" I don't remember ever replacing any of the shit.

Hamilton Standard put out a brochure, in it was a cartoon style picture of the valve housing showing the pilot valve rotating, I argued with a SEFE that there was no way in hell that valve could rotate and not fail. I passed the check ride but I don't remember the outcome of the dicussion.

Checked/set out

If this image is from the ditching section, could the numbers refer to the order of preference for exiting the aircraft?

Mike

The figure above is titled "Emergency Entrances" Fig 3-2 exits are numbered

The Emergency "Air and Ground Exits" Fig 3-8

and "Emergency Exits-Water" Fig 3-10

are referred to as Fwd, Centre and Aft escape hatches and side emergency exits.