Grease on the paratroop door tracks

tinwhistle

I hope this is the proper thread for this. Just an observation: the other day I visited a C-130 on static display, the crew had a small ladder set up to aid people in entering the paratroop door. As I climbed in the door I got grease all over my hand. Now, it's been well over 40 years since I crewed #877, but I seem to remember a rather senior 82nd Airborne officer telling me in no uncertain terms that he did not want his troopers getting grease all over themselves while exiting my aircraft. Norm Plantz and I came up with the idea of using soap on the door tracks, if anything at all. Mostly I made sure that the door tracks stayed "very" clean...Chris

I recall more than one instance of getting that black moly grease on my hands and clothes. As a tech rep, many times I was on and off the airplanes with a sport shirt on (sometimes a white shirt).

I was really surprised to have one nice shirt really messed up from that grease, but it came out in the wash.....

Wasn't at Racine, was at Truax in Madison. The soap was an idea cooked up by my bestest friend and myself. Worked very well as long as we had access to soap!! I think that Airborne Brigadier was simply flexing his rank and hassling a 2 striper. As far as a machine of war; we were at Pope (Fort Bragg) and everything and everyone was still spitshined-that changed very quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys, my initial introduction to the "grease" situation was in late 1964, if memory serves me. I would imagine that a lot of tech changes occured over the years. As I said earlier; things changed rapidly from that time frame forward and aircraft maintance was sometimes erratic. The "nuts and bolts" of this whole thing is that I was surprised at finding grease on this recent static display. Chris

• 1 month later...