Cck

PACAF

Just spoke to a good friend that just got back from Taiwan. Said they went to Taichung and couldn't recognize anything there! Said that it looked more liike Taipei than Taichung. Was so built up and so many people, even going all the way to CCK was now built up. Where there were once nothing but rice fields are now replaced with houses and commercial building. There was no trace left of the Dozen, Half Dozen, or Bar Town. Not to mention the cost of living was out of sight. Everything was very expensive now. I asked him to make me a copy of the DVD he made. If and when I get it I will post on here for anyone that might want to see it. Oh yes, Chang's motorcycle shop is gone and now a part of a market area. He said the market area is so big that you could spend the whole day there now and not see it all.

Oh yes, I spent a lot of time in the Lucky 7 club. On a little strip just before you got to the Dozen. I think there was a little strip behind it too with clubs and that put these clubs like on a little triangular shaped island. What great memories... Thank you so very much for the pics. I know I will look at them many times.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone plans on heading back there - stop by

#7, Lane 35W. 5th st.

Wu Chuan West Rd.

Taichung.

And snap a few pics for me.

Would love to see what our house looks like. If it still exists. ? :/

EDIT - I have a question for anyone that was in the 374TAW. But I do not believe I can publicly post it. It is in regards to an exercise in 1976. That I have a question about.

Edited by Fräulein

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Jerry,

I have a couple of hundred photos from the CCK days. I just can't seem to find time to get them hosted and posted. Great memories.

Ray

Ray, download PICASA its a free photo program. Works great, you can crop, adjust and do all kinds of things with photos. Then you can upload them to a web bases site (FREE) and others can view the pictures, I have used it for a few years and love it for all my photos.

BTW---I'm heading to Taiwan 3 Feb 2010 for Chinese New Year. We will be mostly up in Taipei, but plan to go see sight that I missed during the three years stationed at CCK and during several trips back during the last 38 years.

Still have my Taiwan bride and we are still talking all these years...Have two great grand daughters and enjoying life in my old age.

Muff Millen

Evening Muff,

I've just been so busy - a good thing in this economy - that I haven't had any extra time to get them all posted. I have a file with over 800 photos, taken by me, mainly in SEA that have been enhanced and look pretty good. I still have some negatives to scan also. While I was researching my last book I got some fantastic photos from people who contributed to the project that I would love to share, but I need to ask permission first.

If you get a chance, swing by Taichung and say hi to BB for me.

Ray

Ray, I remember you saying you had a lot of pics of CCK! I know because I have seen quite a few of them. Now, how about posting a pic of BB!! I'm sure I would recognize her if I saw her!! Don't say you don't have one, I think you do!

Ken Carlson

PS You have my permission to use any of the pics I sent to you for whatever you want..

• 2 weeks later...

I went back to Taichung on business around 1995. The city had changed so much it was unrecognizable. I went to visit a shoe company and travled by car from Taipei to Taichung via freeway. Seem to take no time. Remember the road between the two cities in the late 60's? We hired a taxi to go back to Taipei and I thought we would never make it alive. Took all day.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! It has been 44 years and I sure loved to see the pictures of Taichung. I was in the 4442nd at Seward AFB and in December of 1965 was assigned to the 314th FMS engine conditioning shop to prepare for a PCS to Taiwan with the wing. January of 1966 I was assigned to the 50th for the move. We departed Seward on the 10 of January 1966 on aircraft 64-0536 (new from the factory but was lost in 1970) and ended up at Clark AFB for about 3 weeks as CCK was not ready for us. In February of 1966 we arrived at CCK and worked out of and lived in tents. (that was bad but we made up for it with the food like steaks cooked outside on a grill OUTSTANDING food) I got off my story! The move was so secret that we could not tell our wives where we were going. Our orders didn't even state it. The day after we arrived we decided to take a trip to Taichung. Our first stop was at club 36 the enlisted club that was in Taichung at that time. (needed to tank up) The next stop was the Playboy club. This gets me to my story as this move was so secret we could not tell our wives. In neon lights was a sign WELCOME 314th TCW. Some secret! The new chow hall opened up in the early fall of 1966 and the enlisted club near Christmas of 1966.My enlistment was up in March of 1966 and I had to take a steam engine train to Taipei by myself to enlist again but I made it. I departed CCK in February of 1967 and took that taxi ride to Taipei and to this day I don't know how we made it.