Air Force Newbie

xxxotiknightz

Hello all. I just joined the site today. Im a Crew Chief at LRAFB, AR and want to learn all I can about these bird so when I cross train to FE I'll know all I can. I thought Id introduce myself. My name is Titus, I was born and raised in TN. I joined the Air Force in 2008 as a C-130 Crew Chief. I hope to meet alot of good people here and learn as much as possible.

WELCOME Bro. There isn't a better career field to be in and learn than the 431XX career field. It seemed the former CCs were very knowledgeable FEs. Not to mention that most of them treat us better. Just always look at every plane you work on as though you and your family were going to fly on the next misson and you will be good to go. I retired from the Red AMU out there myself. Actually was one of the first ones in Red when it was formed.

you have a new and very exciting career ahead of you and kind of jealous I can't do it again. LOl

Welcome aboard.

Ret. Tsgt Billy Fason

Former Red AMU Equipment manager, Resource Advisor, and general Radar Oriley of the Unit. LOL

Very good advice. You do not here that very often. Every time you have to fix the bird you have to remember the PAX are your responsibility. Always be prepared to fly and remember peoples lives are in your hands. Some Herks are used as airliners in difficult country's and as a CC you have to make difficult decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the world of the C-130.My name is David, (nickname Woody)I was a CC from 90 to 94,and got to do and see quite a lot of things.Keep your eyes and ears open and learn everything you can.You have a wealth of knowledge on this website,dont be afraid to ask a question.I wish herkybirds was up and running when I was in.There will be times when you wish you could pick the acft up and throw it across the fltline,but that is part of the job. take care, kick ass, and welcome to the club.

Whe I was at Sewart 63-65 and on 56-468, it flew when Tsgt Pappy Hayse said it would. He was CC on it while I was a wiper on it.

Anyone know what ever happened to him.

He would put a red-x on the forms in a heartbeat if one of the flight crew so much as looked at crosseyed.

donwon; There is a name I haven't heard in a long time. I worked for Harold B. Hays, AKA "Pappy" in the late 60's while in the 6593rd Test Sq. at Hickam. He was my Flt. Chief. He was a Grumpy old fart, but you couldn't ask for a better person or supervisor. I don't know where he went when he left Hickam, maybe for retirement, but a few years later, I heard he passed away, I believe some where in Florida. It's probably been 30 years or more.

Hiya xxx. My hubby (Jim Barlow) and I just left Little Rock red section. My name is Amber (Battles) Barlow. He was engines and I was a crew chief. I also spent some time next door to y'all in the guard, too. Welcome to the 130 world. You're gonna see a lot being deployed so much!

• 8 months later...

WELCOME Bro. There isn't a better career field to be in and learn than the 431XX career field. It seemed the former CCs were very knowledgeable FEs. Not to mention that most of them treat us better. Just always look at every plane you work on as though you and your family were going to fly on the next misson and you will be good to go. I retired from the Red AMU out there myself. Actually was one of the first ones in Red when it was formed.

you have a new and very exciting career ahead of you and kind of jealous I can't do it again. LOl

Welcome aboard.

Ret. Tsgt Billy Fason

Former Red AMU Equipment manager, Resource Advisor, and general Radar Oriley of the Unit. LOL

Billy.. How the hell are ya? Long time...

Welcome to the board...

I spent the last 15 years of my 24 at Little Rock and enjoyed it.. I was in all the sqaudrons but the 61st, and retired from the 53rd in 2005. I really enjoyed crewing the old girls, but never once wated to be a FE. Good luck and learn all you can...

I would love to do it all over again if I could..

Mark Wales

My name is David, go by the user name venom 66, I was a crew chief from aug 89 to aug 94. Did my time in Desert Shield/Storm. its been 16 years since Ive been a civilian, and not a day goes by that I dont miss working on those E models. Hell, I even miss the CP-5 seat rigs, leading edge removal, and even pulling floor panels. You have a wonderous career ahead of you.Although I imagine your time will be spent on the newer models. As a crew chief on one of the new J mods said to me at a recent airshow at MacDill AFB, "Hell, these things dont break, we just keep em clean" anyways, keep your eyes and ears open, and dont be afraid to ask questions. Best of luck to you!!