Remeber What You Got Paid?

F106A

Back when you joined the service of course. Check this site out for pay tables going back to 1949.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables/militarypaypriorrates.html

BTW, I made $642.90 when I joined up as an E-2 in February 1983. Just a hair over what a bird colonel over 22 years in service made in 1949! As an E-2 Uncle Sam paid for my supper and bed though!

Mark

Edited by F106A

Not too long after I got to Naha in 67, I remember getting a paycheck for $293.00. As an E-2 I realized that that was more than three months pay so I tried getting it straightened out at the Base Finance office. After standing in line in the hot sun along with other Airmen and Officers, I got in and the clerks informed me that there was nothing I could do but not spend it all at once because I wouldn't be getting another paycheck for several months. Yeh right. with Naminoue calling etc. I was broke in a month! Thanks to the pawn shop out the back gate, I managed to make it somehow!!! Hell, I even learned where the chow-hall was!!!

Ken

October 68 Basic Trainng $102.00 a month. Another vivid memory was at CCK, E-3 A1C 3-level. Wasn't making too much more than the $102, Go no check the first pay period after getting married. Stormed into Finance to find out they hold a monthly $150 housing allowance out of my bi-weekly pay. This was to eventually be sent to the new bride on the 15th but left me with zero. They had to get the "shirt" to authorize a $10.00 health and welfare payout (basically a loan) so I could buy soap, shave cream, razor blades, and boot polish. Couldn't have me showing up to work unshaven or needing a boot shine. Showing up hungry was OK though.

Edited by INS/Dopplertroop